The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 02:20 PM

Offshore is on a distinguished road
Default Hi there... from England... across the big pond

Hi there...

I'm really a lure and jerkbait guy who was brought up by a dad who fished for trout on the fly in the UK... I caught my first river brownie when I was 6 on a glass "fly rod" I still have in the loft... infact I still have all my rods including my dad's Milward's Fly Rover which I caught my first and only 3lb rainbow... My main target is pike and I may turn to fly fishing for them over the summer.

However my real reason for being here is to research pontoon boats... the choice is awful in the UK... I'd love a North Fork Skykomish BUT with shipping, duty and vat it kills the deal dead in the water.

I'll post in the appropriate place for advice....

Cheers

David
Old 06-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Hi there... from England... across the big pond

Hi David,

Fly fishing is a great way to catch Pike. Keep us posted if you catch any.

Frank
Old 06-05-2008, 04:23 PM

Flywgn will become famous soon enoughFlywgn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
Hi there...

I'm really a lure and jerkbait guy ...Cheers David
I am such an infrequent poster here on NAFFF that it may seem disingenuous of me to welcome a newcomer, but it is nice to see someone from ‘across the pond’.

Welcome David.

Your mention of being a ‘jerkbaiter’ and that your main target is pike brings back fond memories of catching pike on flies in Great Britain.

I’m also reminded of a passage in the Treatise of Fishing With an Angle about pike and fishing for them. My memory is good but not good enough to quote verbatim, so I had to consult my copy of Dame Judith’s work.

The pike is a good fish…. And to catch him, you must do thus…[and she describes baiting a hook with a roach or fresh herring. Then…] there is another way of catching him. Take a frog and put it on your hook at the back side of the neck between the skin and the body, and put on a float a yard distant, and cast it where the pike haunts, and you will have him. Another way: take the same bait and put it in asafetida and cast it in the water with a cord and a cork, and you will not fail to get him. [Now here’s the good part.] And if you care to have good sport, then tie the cord to the foot of a goose, and you will see a good tug-of-war to decide whether the goose or the pike will have the better of it.

The moral of that is no matter which pontoon boat you choose, do make sure you have one over which you have complete control or a substantial anchor.

Again, welcome.

Allen R
Old 06-05-2008, 06:24 PM

devon flyfisher will become famous soon enoughdevon flyfisher will become famous soon enough

Hi there from England, so am i, what part are you from?
Old 06-05-2008, 06:26 PM

Offshore is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVON FLYFISHER View Post
Hi there from England, so am i, what part are you from?
Near Chester... local river is the River Dee