The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2008, 10:30 PM

bilder is on a distinguished road
Default Greetings from Alaska

Used to fly fish a bit when I first moved up here, but got too busy with other stuff to use a rod and reel to catch my fish for a number of years. Now I am starting to slow down and enjoy the quiet times with my daughters on the local lakes.

Time to pick up the fly rod once more and see if I remember how this contraption works. I just have a cheap South Bend thing I got at a big box store about 15 years ago. Will upgrade sometime soon, but I am cheap by nature and am waiting for that too good to pass up deal to come my way.

I did win a fly tying kit on Ebay for cheap over the weekend. Should fill the long winter nights working on a new hobby.

Anyway, I like the forum and have been lurking for days reading all the great tips and advice around here. Should make my education somewhat easier.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Greetings from Alaska

Hi bilder,

Welcome to the forum. Lurking is good but you will get a lot more from the forum by being an active member. You must live in the Anchorage area, maybe Wasilla. I use to live in Eagle River.

Frank
Old 06-24-2008, 08:55 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Bilder,
Cheap? No. I think the word is frugal. The equipement is cheap.
I had a cheap South Bend outfit years ago too (like 20 years ago). It was a backpack 4 peice fiberglass thing. It came with a reel (stamped sheet metal, very funky), didn't even have a weight stamped on the rod. Don't know how but I caught lots of fish with that rod. Sometimes the tip section would come off when I'd cast. Used a bunch of large weird flies too. I guess sometimes even a blind squirrel finds an acorn.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:56 PM

bilder is on a distinguished road

The outfit I got is stamped. Says it is an 8ft, med action, 5-6 line wt. Graphite composite. "Black Beauty".

Been looking at Cabela's lately. They have some rod/reel combos on sale for 50 bucks right now. Also have a complete outfit for 99 bucks with rod, reel ,case, chest pack, and all the accessories one would need to get started.

I got a couple weeks off at the end of July, so I am looking forward to getting my family limit of red salmon dipnetting (55 fish) and then spend the rest of my vacation hunting trout and pinks with flies.