The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 12:24 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Walleye with a Spey Rod?

I found this site looking for walleye flies and decided to join. I fish for Smallmouth and Northern Pike mainly, but have recently started going for walleye. I have been getting some really big ones in the Rainy River ( the Canadian border runs down the middle of it). I posted a picture of the biggest in the gallery. I have been thinking about getting a Spey rod for it, as there are high banks and brush along much of it and it makes distance casting kind of tough. I have been using kinda heavy flies for it and was wondering if you can cast things like clousers with a Spey rod? Any of you ever tried it? Do they just snap the tippet?
Old 09-23-2008, 09:57 AM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Walleye with a Spey Rod?

Dan,
I mainly fish for trout on the western rivers, that is why I didn't respond to your tread before. I've never tried what you are talking about. As I said in the other thread that you started, your question here seems like a very specific question. There was plenty of people that looked at it, but I'm guessing that no one had a good response to give you.

Frank, correct me if I'm wrong on this.

John
Old 09-23-2008, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Diver Dan,

John is exactly right. You are asking a very specialized questions. Don't you think no answer is better than the wrong answer? I watch threads as the work there way down the list of post. Those that don't get an answer I always try to help out. It seems that your thread was over looked. Sorry about that.

Walleye are not a normal target for fly fishing due to the deep water lakes they live in. Walleye would be great fishing in a river. It seems you are the expert in this case. You would get more response if you show your fish pictures in a post.

In regards to your question about Spey equipment for your fishing. I see in the picture that you are fishing a very large river. Spey casting would work where your back cast is some what limited. Spey rods will handle heavy flies very well. You just have to size your rod and line to match the flies you are casting. Many Spey fishers use tube flies. You may want to buy some tube flies or learn how to tye them. You can make quite large flies using tubes.

There is one problem with Spey casting. You have to learn the techniques. That means a Spey casting DVD, or lessons. In some cases you might need both. Plan on spending a bit of time perfecting your casting and a lot of trial and error getting the rod, line, leader and fly to all work together.

We do have a few Spey fishers on NAFFF and they may be able to help you out.

Frank

Picture of Diver Dan's Walleye:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:55 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

As you can see in the picture, it is a really wide river with high brush covered banks. I've decided to build a 15' 10wt. over the winter. I got the spey casting video from Winston. Up here I am pretty much the only fly fisherman, so most of them already look at me funny. This ought to get the rest of doing it. I can't wait.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:38 PM

bassman82 is on a distinguished road

Talk about your fingers getting ahead of your eyes and brain, guess this posting wound up a bit irrelevant as three years later I'm sure Dan's got his answer by now.

Hey there Dan,

A 15' 10wt might be a bit beefy for 'eyes but I don't see why you couldn't cast clusers or other weighted flies so long as you use the right line. I take my 11' 8wt switch down to Cape Cod for Stripers and cast a 2/0 clouser without issue, both spey casting and double overhead casting. I agree with Frank though, learn your techniques first, preferably without a fly and possibly even on grass. You'll definitely need to watch the anchor placement on your cast, last thing you want to do is have a poorly positioned anchor, power into your forward cast and smack your rod with those big dumbell eyes. I haven't watched Winston's spey dvd but I do have Rio's Modern Spey Casting and find it to be a great DVD, the Skagit Master series might also be one you'd want to look into.

Who's blank did you use to build your rod? They more often than not have line recommendations for that length and weight of rod but I will go so far as to say a skagit line will probably be your best bet for distance and moving big, weighted flies with no backcast room.

As far as clouser's snapping your tippet, not unless your tippet is bad (frayed, bad knot, etc.), or too light. You wouldn't be fishing 6X with a clouser anyway so snapping a fly off during the cast should be a non-issue.

Just my opinion/experience on the matter. Feel free to give me a shout back with any questions you've got.

Sean
Old 03-21-2012, 05:56 PM

zeolite will become famous soon enough

I have no idea about fishing for walleye but I do know how to cast a 15' 10 weight. Spey casting isn't that difficult and I prefer it to single handed actually. What kind of action are you wanting to give to your flies? I always preferred a light fly on a short leader with a sinking line to get depth although you then have to roll cast the line back to surface before making your cast. For heavy flies a shooting head is the best way but you spend a lot of time stripping the running line.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Banned

Holy cow! Zombie thread! I got it figured out a while back. Thanks for the reply though. It's the thought that counts.

I am glad we have more guys with two handers here. In case I missed it, welcome to the forum. So how does a Scottish gentleman end up in the Rockies? I was born and raised in Colorado. Right now I'm out in Minnesota where they don't have mountains. I have seen a couple hills they call mountains. Then I laugh and poke fun at their 'mountain' and call it a mole hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman82 View Post
Talk about your fingers getting ahead of your eyes and brain, guess this posting wound up a bit irrelevant as three years later I'm sure Dan's got his answer by now.

Hey there Dan,

A 15' 10wt might be a bit beefy for 'eyes but I don't see why you couldn't cast clusers or other weighted flies so long as you use the right line.
Sean
Ah! The witch doctor that zombiefied the thread! Actually, I decided I needed a much more 'beefy' rod. I look at it as a delivery system for the fly. In this case the destination point is way way out there sometimes. This Fall for example, I was putting casts out about 140' and truthfully I wish I had been able to get more distance. We were fishing for them in the dark and they were hitting on the surface. Walleye make a real distinct "POP' when they hit something on the surface. I know, thanks to the better ears of my fishing buddy, that most of the fish were probably farther than we were getting our flies out. I am having hearing troubles lately and my left ear is about 80% shot. My being able to tell direction and distance in the dark has taken a serious hit. Later in the Fall the problem seemed to get worse, the distance not my ears, and despite the fact my fishing buddy can cast farther than just about any mortal on the planet, I got more fish in the end just because of it. That's not going to be a problem this Fall for me. I will have a 17' 11 wt. Thomas and Thomas built by then and a Carron Jetstream long belly line on it. 95' of head. I may be able to test a situation, legal wise, that has never been seen before. If I'm standing in Minnesota, and my fly is in Canada......

Oh! I just noticed Bassman, it's your first post! Welcome to the forum as well.

Last edited by Guest1; 03-21-2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Spelling like Popeye talks.