The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 09:57 PM

ltroh is on a distinguished road
Default New Fly Fisherman

I am new to fly fishing. I ordered my first fly rod from Ebay and hope to have it in by this weekend so I can start practicing this great form of fishing.

I do have one question. Is there any truth to the statement that certain weight lines can accommodate only certain types of flies? Any help in this area would be great.

I am looking forward to interacting with everyone and hope that I will come to love fly fishing as much as all of you do.

V/R
Tony
Old 07-10-2008, 01:42 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: New Fly Fisherman

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forum. Where do you fish and for what?

There is some truth to your question but I think there is a little confusion. The rod weight determines what weight flies you can fish efficiently. The line is chosen to match the weight of the rod. So if you had a 2wt rod it would not be a good choice to cast heavy sub-surface flies. The 2wt would normally be used to dry fly fish for small to moderate sized trout.

On the other hand if you had an 8wt rod that you used to fish for Salmon or similar sized fish it would not be the best rod to fish for small to medium sized trout. When choosing a rod you have to size it based on your target fish and what style of flies you will be fishing with. After you select a rod weight you then buy a fly line to match the rod and the style of fishing you will be doing the most. In many cases one fly line is not enough. You may need a floating line for one style of fishing and a sinking line for different circumstances.

If this doesn't answer your question then fire away with more questions.

Frank