The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/)
-   -   Introducing Rocky... (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/527-introducing-rocky.html)

Rocky 08-02-2005 05:33 PM

Introducing Rocky...

Just a short note to introduce myself...

My dad introduced me to fishing at a very young age. I first flung a fly about 40 years ago, and I've owned a flyrod since then, but I didn't finally get semi-serious about it until about a dozen years ago. I imagine part of the reason is that there aren't a whole lot of opportunities to flyfish in and around El Paso, where I've spent most of my life.

I kinda' consider the San Juan my "home water" even though it's an eight hour drive. That's got to be my favorite place to fish, in spite of the crowds. Recently, I acquired a 9wt for stripers in Elephant Butte in NM. I also like to fish for trout in southern NM lakes. (I have to confess that I troll, but I'm honestly trying to break the habit...) I'm planning to try my hand at fishing for Rio Grande redfish (aka carp) since that's the most abundant fish in the area and I can do it on my lunch hour.

I tie my own flies. I've built rods and the tools to make rods. I love everything about the sport. I've taught about ten friends how to flyfish in the last five years and nearly all of them love it as much as I do.

My dream is to one day fish Alaska, and Los Cabos area of Mexico.

I frequent several other forums (mostly HD related) but generally just lurk. I'll try to be a little more helpful here if the opportunity presents itself. So far you seem like a very congenial group.

BigCliff 08-03-2005 08:21 AM

Re: Introducing Rocky...

Welcome to the group! Good to have some input from the hot dry part of Texas.

Ever fished the Devil's River?

fshfanatic 08-03-2005 10:10 AM

Glad to have you with us! There are a great bunch of guys here. If you dont count Curtis. ;)

Rocky 08-03-2005 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCliff
Welcome to the group! Good to have some input from the hot dry part of Texas.

Ever fished the Devil's River?

Where's that? Just joking! I may be wrong about this, but I think most of us who live in this part of West Texas fish more in NM, AZ, and CO than TX. I'm actually closer to the San Juan than central TX. I rarely travel east for recreation when fishing is involved (unless it's down to the Gulf).

BigCliff 08-03-2005 01:25 PM

I can definitely see why you'd rather go to NM than trek to the Guad to fish for trout, I sure would. I just asked about the devil's because I thought it was half way close to you, then I check a map and see that it's 450 miles. Even though its near Del Rio, I guess it might as well be Central TX for you.

Ever fish Baja? looks like its a shorter trip than Galveston for you. or maybe thats the "gulf" you meant.

Rocky 08-04-2005 09:03 AM

I've fished the Baja but never with fly. I'm hoping to do it one day in the not too distant future, though.