The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2008, 02:12 PM

DLeeHarley is on a distinguished road
Hello from Idaho!

Hey All, Just wanted to say hey. I'm a relative novice at fly fishing. I'm trying to learn at much as I can, but as in other fields unless you learn the correct way you just run into other problems. I've only fished with one of these Combo rod kits. It's a 6 wt. which to me feels like I'm fishing with a tree branch! I'm looking at purchasing a 4 wt. quality rod. Next I'm going to have to watch someone who knows what he's doing! LOL And improve my casting. With help from sites like this I'm on my way! Thanks,

Dennis- Nampa, Idaho
Old 07-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from Idaho!

Dennis you are right in that you need to watch someone or better yet see if there are classes. This will also help you in finding the right rod.
If you think you have the basics down, then I suggest trying different actions out. You will find one that you will feel effortless in casting.
Until then, I don't think I can give you ideas on which rod.
Are you a fast action / medium action / slow action caster?
Old 07-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Hello from Idaho!

Hi Dennis,

Welcome to the forum. You are in a great area for a fly fisher. Joni is right on target, as usual. Check with local fly shops or try and locate a FFF or Trout Unlimited club. Take a lesson or two. The instructor will usually have good gear for you to try out. If not follow Joni's advise and cast all the different rods you can get your hands on.

If you are ever on the water and see a good caster strike up a conversation and tell him you are a beginner. Nine out of Ten times he Will let you try his rod. He may even give you a fly that is working or at least give you a heads up on what is working for him.

Frank