The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 04:27 PM

brucered is on a distinguished road
Default New CDN member

hi everyone. new to fly fishing here, actually haven't even started, but i'm planning on it.

we bought a camper this year for us and the kids so i got back into spin cast fishing and some trolling (canoe with electric motor), but since i did, i realized, i want to start fly fishing. you guys came recommended from someone who just joined a bbq forum i've been on for a few years (DefaultHomePage), so here i am.

i was told to check out the allen reels and line, and from what i see, they look absolutely beautiful and i look forward to perhaps purchasing one for next year, along with some line and a rod.

i picked up some loose flies and tried trolling behind the canoe, but didn't have any luck, but it was the last w/end of the year, so i probably didn't give it enough of a chance. not sure i would have worked anyway.

look forward to getting some info, questions answered and tips from everyone.

thanks and take care.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New CDN member

Bruce: Welcome to the forum, we look forward to your participation. Send Justin at Allen Fly Fishing and ask him if he is still offering discounts to forum members.

Larry
Old 10-01-2010, 04:36 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Welcome aboard sir ! As you will learn, fly fishing is quite addictive. Not to mention the art of tying.....oooooohhhhh. The spin cast gear, give it to the kids.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Bruce,

For information mining you are at the right place. Just take some time browsing the different forums The North American Fly Fishing Forum. Fly fishing news and views across the USA and Canada and look for thread topics that are of interest to you. This will be a good starting place.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-01-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Bruce: Welcome to the forum, we look forward to your participation. Send Justin at Allen Fly Fishing and ask him if he is still offering discounts to forum members.

Larry
thanks everyone. i already sent him a lengthy email with some questions and info as to what i am looking for (i have no idea what i'm actually looking for) and what type of fishing areas i'll be frequenting.

i saw an XL on of the threads that he was selling, man oh man, it sure looked nice.

and yes, as my brother the fly fisherman in calgary has already said, once i start, i'll probably not use my regular spinning rod/reel any more.

but my question is, if i'm fishing from shore with the kids for let's say "perch", i'm guessing i'll still want to use my spincast setup with a pickeral rig. lots of northern pike up here though and a quick google search reveals that Pike are great for flyfishing. one site suggested this for pike "Reels should be capable of holding a good length of backing, 100yds minimum and lines from 8 - 10. A disc drag is not a must but extremely helpful", does that sound correct?

i'll start searching the fourms and browsing around a bit later. looks to be a lot of knowledge on here.

yeah, another addicting, time consuming hobby and i have'n even started yet and i don't want to even think about making my own flies yet, when will i go to work?
Old 10-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hey brucered welcome to the forum-- there's a lot of good stuff to browse through in the forums and info in the FAQ forums that might help. But keep asking questions as they come up-- lots of good folks here that can help get you going.

It sounds like you've got a lot of great fishing up your way--- and having a brother that fly fishes is a good thing- you can raid his fly boxes at the next family gathering.

One thing to keep in mind as you get into this, is that most people that chase a lot of different types of fish with a fly rod end up with more than one outfit. Rods with heavier line weights are used for throwing larger flies - so where a 10 weight might be a good choice for throwing large stuff at pike, an 8 weight might be a better choice for steelhead or throwing large poppers and bass bugs for largemouth, and a 5 weight might be a good all around choice for trout in streams.

So you might want to zero in on an outfit that would be a good choice for the types of fishing that you'll be doing the most.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Hey brucered welcome to the forum-- there's a lot of good stuff to browse through in the forums and info in the FAQ forums that might help. But keep asking questions as they come up-- lots of good folks here that can help get you going.

It sounds like you've got a lot of great fishing up your way--- and having a brother that fly fishes is a good thing- you can raid his fly boxes at the next family gathering.

One thing to keep in mind as you get into this, is that most people that chase a lot of different types of fish with a fly rod end up with more than one outfit. Rods with heavier line weights are used for throwing larger flies - so where a 10 weight might be a good choice for throwing large stuff at pike, an 8 weight might be a better choice for steelhead or throwing large poppers and bass bugs for largemouth, and a 5 weight might be a good all around choice for trout in streams.

So you might want to zero in on an outfit that would be a good choice for the types of fishing that you'll be doing the most.
thanks for the info.

here is what i'm looking at getting for my 1st outfit, per recommendation by someone on here (they recommended allen) and the weight etc is what my bros also recommended, although he had no knowledge of ALLENfishing.

Allen XL 5/6 reel
6wt rod
Allen line WFF6

sound like a good decision?
Old 10-03-2010, 01:54 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Bruce.hope you'll get your 1st outfit soon and post pics of your 1st outing
Old 10-03-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
Bruce.hope you'll get your 1st outfit soon and post pics of your 1st outing
you really want to see a pic of me all tangled up cursing at the rod/reel as i'm unwrapping fly line from me and everyone else around me
Old 10-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Bruce,

Welcome to the forum. I use to troll flies from a canoe and it works well. I didn't have a trolling motor but that was not a problem. You need to troll Streamers to be successful. Dragging other flies behind a canoe gives them an unnatural movement. Now you can use other flies if you drift the canoe with a soft breeze. This can be very successful. Streamer flies are mostly imitations of minnows or sculpins.

Allen Fly Fishing does give our members a discount. You need to tell us a bit more about what you primarily fish for. It has a bearing on the rod and reel you buy. Where are you fishing? I know you mentioned Pike but is that your Target fish or you just know they are there to catch. If you primarily fish for Trout or Smallmouth Bass your 6wt would be a good choice. If you are after Pike most of the time than a heavier rod may be appropriate.

Frank