The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2008, 12:00 PM

alexthegrrr8 is on a distinguished road
Default I'm a newbie...

Hey Everyone:

Well this is my first post and I would like to say hello to everyone soooo..."helloooo!!".

A little bit about me. I'm 36 and I reside in Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada. I'm married to my wife Crystal and we have two relatively great kids. LOL..okay so they aren't that bad. I was introduced to fishing by my father who was really ill (dialysis, renal failure etc). To this day I'll never forget my first fish...a 1.5 lb largemouth. I was hooked on fishing from that point forth. Until 2004 that is. My father passed away and I lost any desire to fish. The itch was non-existent. It just boiled down to my heart not being into it because a part of died as well.

As I mentioned I have a wife....she likes to fish as does my son (I call him "Mini-me"). He's finally getting to the point where he has the attention span to fish. I am real excited about that as I can start traditions with him that my dad shared with me. LOL..like the official beginning to our fishing season starting on Good Friday. My dad wasn't into ice-fishing...although I am.

I guess that's what brings me to this point and my joining of this site. Recently, my family and I went for a two night stay in NW Pennsylvania. On the drive down there we took the I-90. We crossed a creek and I thought I caught a glance of an angler fly-fishing...hmmmmmmm. We cross another and my wife mentions that there are guys fishing in the creek. Okay, now I'm curious. So we arrive at the hotel and beisde it is a Dick's and Gander Mountain. I go to Dick's (golf stuff is the reason why) but I venture into the Lodge. I see bins of hip waders for sale....hmmmmmmm. The next day I go into Gander Mountain and I venture into the fishing section. Finally I ask the question..."what are in those creeks that guys are fly-fishing for?" the response "Steelhead". Ohhhhhh?! So I'm also told that I'm in "Steelhead Alley". I'm instructed to go somewhere if I wanted to have a look. I head to where I was told. I don't know if it was my surroundings but the place inspired me to fish again. I've seen streams like this in my dreams and the "chrome" in that creek.

Only problem...I had limited fly fishing experience (bass and panfish). So I'm hoping for some advice and making aquaintance with a few of my fellow anglers (fly-fishing). i guess that's it for now.

Good fishing,

Alex
Old 11-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: I'm a newbie...

Hi Alex,

Welcome to the forum. I completely understand your feelings after your Dad passed. My fishing partner of 30+ years passed and I just don't have the interest I did when he was there to share it with me. Of course a Dad is much different than a friend but I still understand how you felt.

You have found a great site to help you get started. We have many knowledgeable people and they are all friendly. Just jump in and ask questions. You might find some information in the FAQ forum that will help you. Then there is the Search feature that can find lots of information. Just reading some of the past post can be helpful.

Frank
Old 11-07-2008, 06:58 PM

mikeo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: I'm a newbie...

Alex
Welcome to the forum -- especially great to see a fellow Canuck on board -- great forum -- lots of friendly and helpful advice -- glad you are "rediscovering" fly fishing -- totally understand why you haven't since your Dad passed on -- lots of great Syeelhead action this side of the border too (although Steelhead Alley is great too -- and often less crowded -- seems a lot of those fly fishing down there are often from up here north of the border) -- and don't forget the great Steelhead action right on your doorstep on the Niagara -- and the great fishing that southern Ontario has to offer with a fly rod -- whether Steelhead or trout or carp or bass or pike or gar or muskie or crappie or???? -- we've really got it all up here -- and great people on this and other forums too (couple up here you might want to check out if you haven't already -- PM me if you wish
Tight Lines, Mike
"Fly fishing is solitary, contemplative, misanthropic, scientific in some hands, poetic in others, and laced with aesthetic considerations. It's not even clear if catching fish is actually the point." -John Gierach