The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/)
-   -   Saying Hello from Massachusetts (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/6551-saying-hello-massachusetts.html)

TimmyMac 11-17-2008 11:09 AM

Saying Hello from Massachusetts

Hey, gang...

I'm an absolute newbie to flyfishing, but I'm hoping I can lurk here and soak up some knowledge over the winter to put into practice come spring. I'm dropping massive Christmas gift hints for an inexpensive outfit to learn how to cast with.

Why?

Well, for years, I've been using a spinning rod with a casting bubble and fly, and pretty much only that, to catch fish. I've decided it's time to stop screwing around and learn how to flyfish properly.

Of course, I wish I'd come to this conclusion BEFORE I moved out of Colorado, but...

atlaw 11-17-2008 12:18 PM

Re: Saying Hello from Massachusetts

In a previous life I lived in Western Mass. Try the Deerfield above Charlemont, I fished it almost everyday for a while. just watch the releases as the levels change FAST.

Frank Whiton 11-17-2008 02:06 PM

TimmyMack,

Shame, Shame, you lived in Colorado and never fly fished.:smile:

Welcome to NAFFF. With the help of the many good people on the forum we will have you fly fishing in no time.

A good way to get what you want for Christmas is to get a catalog like Cabela's fly fishing catalog. Mark or highlight things you want. One way is to use one color high lighter for what you want most and another color for things that would be OK. I have done this with my wife for years and she almost always picks the most expensive items. The OK items are good stocking stuffer like nippers or a hat or some such thing. I just mark the catalog and say "here are some ideas for Christmas". Of course you have to make little hints about how you need a new rod or reel ever chance you get. Take her to a fishing store and just wander aimlessly and sigh ever time you pick up a rod or what ever.

Frank

TimmyMac 11-17-2008 03:24 PM

That's very devious. I like it. And yeah, I lived in Colorado for the better part of 25 years, and I never learned to fly fish OR ski. Talk about wasted time.

Atlaw, thanks for the tip. I'll definitely get out there.

Aljack 11-26-2008 10:09 AM

Tim

I'm new to this board and also live in Mass. Aside from the Deerfield River, you have some trout water much closer to Medford. There's the Nissitissit River in Pepperell and the Squannacook River in Townsend. In Pepperell, there is a fly shop called the Evening Sun Evening Sun Fly Shop - northern Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire - Fly fishing & fly tying supplies, equipment, and instruction that can give you the lowdown on those 2 rivers. Further west, there is the Millers River on out Rt 2 and the Swift River which flows out from the southern end of the Quabbin Res. There are also lots of smaller streams close to you that are stocked every spring. There is the Bass Pro Shop in Foxboro, right by the stadium, that has a decent fly fishing section. There is also a LL Bean in Mansfield that I wouldn't recommend. If you were to travel to Mansfield, you would be better off to take an extra 15 minutes to go to the Bears Den Fly Shop in Taunton Bear's Den Fly Fishing Co.. There is saltwater FF nearby, but that's another ballgame.

Jimmie 11-26-2008 12:16 PM

:welcomean TimmyMac. You and I both come here from spin fishing backgrounds. This is the most excited I've been about fishing in years and haven't even laid a fly line on water. I'm addicted to fly fishing. Can't get enough.

:welcomean too AlJack