The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/)
-   -   New comer with question (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/6818-new-comer-question.html)

Flywld 12-10-2008 12:47 PM

New comer with question

Hi Guys and Gals

I'm brand new today. I haven't done any flyfishing for several years but am ready to get back at it.

Does anyone know anything about a South Bend #55 9 foot fly rod. I recently purchased but can't tell what weight it is.

I greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks

Hardyreels 12-10-2008 01:53 PM

Re: New comer with question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flywld (Post 40714)
Hi Guys and Gals

I'm brand new today. I haven't done any flyfishing for several years but am ready to get back at it.

Does anyone know anything about a South Bend #55 9 foot fly rod. I recently purchased but can't tell what weight it is.

I greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks

Fly,

Are there any letters inscribed on the butt shaft?

Joni 12-10-2008 02:40 PM

Welcome Flywld. Hardy is right, we do need a little more to go on. My first thought is a 7 weight.

Hardyreels 12-10-2008 03:42 PM

Joni,

Right you are, I've had a few of the South bend rods and they were 7 & 8wt. sticks. Depending on what Flywld is planning to use his for it may or may not work out for him. An old friend, C.W. O'Connor had a set of weights that could when hung from the tip of the rod accurately gauge the proper line weight for the rod. Have you ever seen this done?

Joni 12-10-2008 03:51 PM

No! That would be very nice to have though!

What about that penny thing on "Common Sense Fly Fishing". My friend swears that thing really works on some rods he has with no markings. I would look it up, but I am on my Lap Top and I think it is an Adobe file that I can't get here.

Flywld 12-11-2008 12:05 PM

I have looked it over very carefully and it appears that someone has put a new finish on it so they may have sanded numbers off.

Thanks for your help

FLY

Flywld 12-11-2008 12:10 PM

Thanks Joni

As I told Hardy I can't find any identification at all on the rod - it appears that someone has refinished it.

Thanks for your response.

I really like it here. I was very surprised to receive as many responses as I did.

It sounds like a really good group.

HAVE A GREAT DAY

FLY

jclampwork88 12-11-2008 12:15 PM

Think of us as a family. (if you like your family, :wink:)

Frank Whiton 12-11-2008 01:28 PM

Hi Flywld,

The South Bend #55 9' was made in a dry fly rod and a bass rod. If yours is a dry fly rod you could have a 6wt. If it is a bass rod it will be a 7wt or 8wt.

Frank