The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 10:24 PM

panfishonthefly is on a distinguished road
Default in need of help

Hello! I've just very recently taken up flyfishing and I'm enjoying it very much so far. I'm not having much luck catching anything. I was wondering if maybe someone could give me some pointers. I'm very interested in fishing for bass or panfish. I need to know what flies work best and how to fish them. i've fished since i was a kid but only with spinning setups. so whatever info anyone could share would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: in need of help

Welcome Panfish. I don't live in TX, but there are several here that do. I am sure they will be piping in to help out. Is there a local shop that can help you with what flies?
Old 12-16-2008, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

This time of year will be a bit tougher to catch bass and panfish. That said, a olive size 10 beadhead wooly bugger fished in spots you would catch fish with a spinning rod should prove effective.

Fairfield State Park has good fishing too. Just be mindful that you could hook into one of those freshwaterized redfish that could take you for a ride.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Nymph type flies work well on panfish. Since you have not done it much it may help to use some kind of strike indicator till you get better at detecting strikes. I tye a fly that looks like a flu-flu jig and fish it under a palse pinch on indicator. I use short strips with enough pause for the fly to fully sink then repeat. It has worked pretty well. The fly has a marabou tail and a chenille body. I use red thread between the body and the tail just like the flu-flu. My favorite color is white tail with a chatreuse body. I have made them with bead heads, but if you get to heavy you need a bigger strike indicator(float). Good luck.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:41 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey panfish,
How is the flyfishing going? What have you tried so far?