The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 05:08 PM

MChief is on a distinguished road
Default Hello Folks...

Yes, I am obviously new here, however I have been casting flies about 9 years now. And although I've never had time to learn the art of tying, I am thinking now that I have just retired from the U.S Navy, I just might learn how to - but don't hold me to that. Meanwhile, my rod of choice has been Sage since I began fly fishing, so I currently cast a Sage 1090-4 Xi2 in salt, and a 586-4 VT2 in fresh water. Both of these newer rods have been very good to me - but I must admit, although I spent most of my career on rivers, the saltwater bug has bit hard. I cannot get enough. So with that said, I am currently in the process of relocating from the Tidewater Virginia area to Amelia Island, Florida where I have just bought a new home and plan to spend the rest of my life. Oh and after selling my home in Virginia, and buying a home in Florida, I had a few dollars left-over to buy a new boat. I'm really looking forward to the coming days.

So I hope to enjoy myself here from time to time - I've already discovered many great reads, and some interesting subjects here too. By the way, when it comes to the internet, I will answer to either "Chief", or John. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello Folks...

Hey Chief,

Welcome to the board. Just saw your post and I apologize for not responding sooner. As far as tying goes, the good news is once you learn a few basic patterns incorporating a few different techniques- say a clouser, deceiver, seaducer, a crab type fly like a merkin, and spin some deer hair on something like a Snake Fly you'll have all the techniques to tie everything you need for SW for everything from bones to sharks and everything in between. SW also uses less expensive materials than a lot of other types of tying since you don't need expensive stuff like dry fly hackle. If you have any questions about getting started in SW tying just give a holler on the tying forum here. Lot's of helpful folks will chime in.

You are going to be in the middle of some great fishing, and you should have a blast.

I have an older Sage 1090 (RPLx) and love it. It sounds like you have great gear. What will you be chasing with the 10 wt down there?

And congrats on the boat. Sounds like it's going to be a busy retirement.

peregrines
Old 02-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello Folks...

Welcome Chief! Nephew is in the navy. Stationed in Japan right now....GO NAVY!

Love to hear more from you and pictures are a must! LOL

Jump right in, the water is fine!

J