The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/)
-   -   Another day another forum... (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/7592-another-day-another-forum.html)

Dr. Gonzo 01-29-2009 11:25 AM

Another day another forum...

Howdy fellow Fly Fishing Enthusiasts (read: Addicts),

I'm new to this site, and relatively new to fly fishing (started in July/August). What I lack in experience I've made up for by reading non-stop and joining as many of these forums as I can. I also do pretty well at making time to go fishing - winter be damned. I'm a third year law school student, getting ready to graduate without a job in one of the worst job markets in the history of this fair nation. Fortunately, I've used my student loans to get most of the fishing gear I need so I'll be ok :wink: I'm looking forward to getting to know people on the forums as we discuss, share ideas and debate issues relating to fly fishing. If anybody in the NYC area wants a fishing buddy, I am usually happy to oblige and do my best to make myself useful (flask and all). See you on the forums!

Hardyreels 01-29-2009 02:32 PM

Re: Another day another forum...

Gonzo,

Ask around to find out if there is still any public water on the Carmen's River in Long Island. If so you're in a good place to enjoy an historic area for fly fishing. You are only a few stones throws away from the Willowemoc and Beaverkill among many other great waters. In a way I wish I were there, people and all.

I have a fairly long association with the Northeast in general you can always PM me with any queries and I will do my best to assist you. Oh yeah, check the work opportunities in Anchorage before you work fast food dude!

Ard

Dr. Gonzo 01-29-2009 03:41 PM

Thanks for the info - I actually fished the tidal section of the Carmans with my dad pretty recently. it was a slow winter day and it was low tide so we didn't see any action but I am definitely planning to head back there when conditions are better. I checked out the Beaverkill back in September but was still pretty noob at the time. Beautiful water, I can't wait to head back there. I'm going up for a weekend in May with the local TU chapter. We're staying right on the Willemoc at the Fly Fishing Museum and Center so I'm sure I'll get well acquainted with the river.

Places I've fished:

NY: Beaverkill, Esopus Creek, East Branch of the Croton River, Titicus River, Connetquot River, Carmans River
CT: Mianus River, Norwalk River
NH: Saco River, Dry River, Lonesome Lake, East Branch Pemigewasset, North Fork

Lately I've had good luck nymphing on the Norwalk and I did pretty well on the Esopus especially for a novice. Now that my casting has improved and I understand how to drift drag-free I am looking forward to going back to all of these places and exploring new ones. I'm especially looking forward to getting back up to the White Mountains in NH to do some backcountry camping/fishing. Beautiful country up there for anyone interested in hoofing it a bit.

Rip Tide 01-29-2009 03:47 PM

Two words;

Striped Bass

No one will even look at you twice for wearing waders on the subway

:frogdance

Joni 01-29-2009 04:17 PM

Welcome to the site Dr. Gonzo. Look forward to hearing about your adventures.

Dr. Gonzo 01-30-2009 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip Tide (Post 46978)
Two words;

Striped Bass

No one will even look at you twice for wearing waders on the subway

Most definitely! There's great fishing to be had in Brooklyn that is easily accessed by subway. I'm saving up some money from my part time job to see if I can get myself a decent 8wt rod so I can be ready in the spring when the saltwater fishing picks back up. Also now that my cast is improving saltwater is more of an option.