The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 11:57 AM

PancakeFace22 will become famous soon enough
Default New guy in Alabama

Hi I'm still pretty new to fly fishing, but I've fished with primarily spinning gear for my entire life. I'm an aerospace engineering student (for now) at the University of Alabama in Huntsville.

I bought my second fly rod/reel just this week and I decided to get involved in a forum to get help from experienced fly fisherman since most fishing supply shops here in north Alabama carry very little, if any, fly fishing gear and have staffs that don't seem to know very much about the sport.

I'm pretty laid back and easy to get along with, so please take care of me when I need help. Oh and I'll try to keep my dumb questions to a minimum lol. I tend to try and answer my own questions through research before asking people on sites like this for help on subjects that should be basic knowledge for people that fish as much as me.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New guy in Alabama

Hey pancake, welcome to the board. What kind of fish are you chasing down there? We have some folks from AL that go after reds and specs in SW as well as bass and panfish in fresh.

And feel free to ask away, lots of helpful folks here, as well as a lot of good info in past threads. If you have a question chances are good that other people may be wondering the same thing.

Anyhow, make yourself at home and help yourself to the fridge!

Mark
Old 02-26-2009, 01:15 AM

I mostly go after bluegill and shellcracker, but I caught a crappie on my new 2wt yesterday (first fish on it too ) and I'm taking it with me on the boat tomorrow to specifically target crappie.

I plan to get an 8wt eventually so that I can fish for bass around where I live, and take it with me on offshore trips in Destin and Panama City, FL on my brother's boat just in case we come across a school of spanish mackerel or anything I think I can handle with the rod lol.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, you should have blast with that 2 weight.

And an 8 down the road would be a great addition to your aresenal for bass and light saltwater.

Have you thought about tying? A lot of the stuff for panfish, SW and some bass flies are pretty easy to tie and use inexpensive materials.... not that many folks actually "save" money by tying... more of a way to expand the sport (and extend the season for those of us that live where the water gets hard).

Good luck, and again, welcome to the board.

Mark
Old 02-27-2009, 10:37 PM

Yeah I plan to buy a rotary vise so I can start tying some flies, but I'm short on money right now. (college student budget ) If I start to get too impatient while saving up to get one, I might pick up a cheap one just so I can get started. I have a few ideas that I'm dying to tie.

I had a cheap vise that I used to tie crappie and bluegill jigs on, but my mom stored it somewhere during a mass cleanup of the house while I was at school and I haven't seen it since. So I guess for now I'm stuck with bargain hunting on the internet for clearance flies lol. Bluegill don't seem to be picky during warm weather months, so I just use basically anything I can get that's in the right size range.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:35 PM

Leahcim is on a distinguished road

Hello PCF, You are not to far [1 hr] from some great trout fishing. The Elk River below Tims Ford Dam which is close to Winchester and Lynchburg, Tn.. Lynchburg has great little fly shop; Tim's Flies and Lies Outfitters. Tim or John will show you whats catching them and where. Check the discharge schedule, water comes up pretty quick. Welcome to the forum.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:15 PM

Wow thanks I didn't even know about that place! I'll definitely have to check on that sometime soon when there's decent weather (and when I take a break from crappie fishing).
Old 03-12-2009, 06:53 PM

bassbugger is on a distinguished road

Just got on this site myself. I live in Birmingham. Bream, bass and crappie are well known on the Tn River chain. You can also get in to SMs below Wilson Dam. Try the tail race below Smith Dam on the Sipsey For 'bows that are stocked by the state. Pretty good fly shop on HWY 69 next to the river that can give you good info. Good luck, and most of all, enjoy.