The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 04:09 PM

brandy will become famous soon enough
Default newbie from oregon

hello all,
I am new to the fly fishing world. I am hoping to embark on a new journey of fishing. I have always wanted to learn, but nobody in my family knew anything about it. I am enjoying the site so far, and I hope to learn more as time goes on.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: newbie from oregon

Hey Brandy, welcome to the board. Glad you found us. It's a pretty friendly bunch here, so ask away if you have any questions, and feel free to jump in on discussions.

We have a bunch of folks out in the PNW, and probably a bunch that fish the same waters you do, so I hope this board turns into a good resource for you.

If you're just starting out, the lingo can be pretty confusing, there's tons of choices in gear, and the mechanics of casting etc can look pretty tough. But we all learned at some point, and hopefully we'll be able to cut through all the fog for you. There's no need to reinvent the wheel, I'm sure folks here will go out of their way to give you good advice based on their experience and/or point you to the ton of excellent resources that are out there.

Have you been fly fishing awhile or are you just starting out? What kind of fish do you chase?-- you live in fish country so you must have a lot of choices.

Make yourself at home here,

Mark
Old 03-04-2009, 01:13 PM

Thanks Mark,

I haven't been out to the water yet, so my experience so far is none. I have been practicing my casts at my house, and I have found a ton of informative videos online. I have been trying to figure out what flies are best used in my area for trout, thats my favorite fish, and what gear I absolutely need to start out. I have my rods, one is a 5/6 and the other 7/8. I figured that most of the places I would be fishing are stock so I could go with the 5/6 there, and the 7/8 for when I head out to Milwaukie on the Willamette and Sandy.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:08 PM

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Brandy-

Excellent it sounds like you’re having fun, even without the fish. How’s the casting going? Just as a heads up, it's always a good idea to put a piece of yarn on the end of your leader (or tippet) when practice casting, it'll keep your leader or tippet from fraying. Casting is mostly a timing thing, rather than strength and muscle, so relax and take it easy, it will come. Oh and that crack you here once in awhile means you're not waiting long enough for the line to straighten out on your backcast

It sounds like you're ready to blast off for trout with your 5/6. Are you planning to do steelhead too with the 7/8? That would be great for that-- but a little steeper learning curve than trout. The 7/8 would also be great for smallmouth and largemouth bass if you have them around.

Where abouts are you in Oregon and what water do you plan to fish for trout?

If you have a local fly shop, it might be a good idea to buy stuff there- they’ll be a great source of info on local patterns, where to go, show you how to rig stuff up and answer your questions. We can help there too though if you don’t have one nearby. And feel free to shout if you have any questions at all.

In the meantime, here are some links that might be helpful:
This one is in response to a post from a guy that is new to FF but will be taking a job as an intern in a wilderness area in Utah--- it goes into stuff you’ll need besides rod and reel and fly line and backing. You won’t need the compass, signal mirror stuff if you’re fishing near civilization.
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...at-9325-2.html

Here’s a good link to different knots used in fly fishing:
Animated Knots by Grog

Here’s a link to a post with more embedded links with some general stuff that might be helpful (a search feature for finding a local fly fishing club—a great way to get up to speed) and some pretty good fly fishing videos:
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...html#post50839

And here’s another pretty recent one with info on a basic trout fly selection, some links to reading water and “mending line” to get a natural drift with your fly on a stream, how to fish different types of flies etc:
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...lies-8645.html

We have a few folks from Oregon, you might want to post your questions in the main forum so they get a lot of responses. We have a few members in Oregon, and hopefully they'll weigh in with some tips for your waters.

Mark
Old 03-04-2009, 05:40 PM

My casting seems to be going fine. I found that 3 part casting video that you requested about a week ago, but my all time favorite is this 6 part series YouTube - Fly Fishing For Trout - (1 of 6). Gary is very good at what he does, and he explains all of the different flies too.

The 7/8 is for sm/lm bass and steelhead, it will be good for when we go to the oregon coast. I figure I can catch something nice when we go to seaside or tillamook oregon.

I live in Hillsboro, just west of Portland. I have heard that the Willamette, Columbia and Sandy rivers are good for fly fishing. Personally, I can't wait to get out there and try. We also plan on going toward Bend, OR this summer. From what I have learned, the lower Deschutes River is one of the best in Oregon.

I haven't checked to see if there are any local fly shops close to me, but I will get there. Thanks for all the info, it is really helpful, and it takes the worry out of not doing things right.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:17 PM

Excellent, and thanks for the link to the Borger vids. (Jason, Gary's son did the casting in "A River Runs Through It")

You live in a great part of the world. Beautiful country and GREAT fishing. I used to make it out there once in a while and even caught spring chinook in downtown Portland after a business meeting. What a hoot that was.

You have sea run cuts out there too, so you can add them to your list.

Mark

Mark
Old 03-04-2009, 10:26 PM

I no idea his son did the casting for that film. It is one of my favorite movies, and to be quite honest, that is the reason that I wanted to start fly fishing. The technique in that movie was so beautiful, and I wanted to do it too.