The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 02:36 PM

OleCaster is on a distinguished road
Default Hello from Arizona on the Mexican Border

I grew up bottom fishing, spin casting, and trolling in Maryland on the Chesapeake Bay. I am totally new to fly fishing and fresh water fishing and have only wet a fly line during an Orvis fishing school and at a casting school session with the local club.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from Arizona on the Mexican Border

Hey Olecaster, welcome to the board. I guess you mostly have warm water fish down there? Panfish and bass can be a blast on a fly rod if you have some water nearby.

And if you're close to any salt water, there should be tons of opportunities for redfish and speckled trout (weakfish).

We have a bunch of folks here from Texas that might be able to give you some advice on where to go.

We're a pretty friendly bunch here, so ask away if you have any questions, and feel free to jump in on discussions.

There's also a bunch of stuff in the FAQ sections and past threads that might be worth a browse if you're new to all this. Hopefully we can demystify some of the lingo, answer questions about gear etc. and get you pointed in the right direction.

Again, welcome to the board, make yourself at home.

Mark
Old 03-04-2009, 08:00 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough

Where at on the border? I am pretty close to the border.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Hey Olecaster, welcome to the board. I guess you mostly have warm water fish down there? Panfish and bass can be a blast on a fly rod if you have some water nearby.

And if you're close to any salt water, there should be tons of opportunities for redfish and speckled trout (weakfish).

We have a bunch of folks here from Texas that might be able to give you some advice on where to go.

We're a pretty friendly bunch here, so ask away if you have any questions, and feel free to jump in on discussions.

There's also a bunch of stuff in the FAQ sections and past threads that might be worth a browse if you're new to all this. Hopefully we can demystify some of the lingo, answer questions about gear etc. and get you pointed in the right direction.

Again, welcome to the board, make yourself at home.

Mark
Mark,
Thanks for the warm words, I'm gonna need all the help I can get with this new style of fishing. I'm new to the mechanics of posting and replying so hope I did this right.

Oliver
Old 03-05-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRD View Post
Where at on the border? I am pretty close to the border.
I live in Sierra Vista, Arizona about 75 miles south southeast of Tucson. We're very close to the historic towns of Tombstone and Bisbee. Some of the mountains I can see from my backyard are actually in Mexico.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:18 AM

I'm in Benson, and work in Sierra Vista. There is a group of fly fishers in this area. I'm not part of the local club, but a few friends and me do get out fishing often. I am usally on the water atleast once a week. Been fly fishing the area about 2 years, but lived here 26. We be hitting Patagonia/Parker Canyon in april for the bluegill fishing. I also go to Safford a lot and Rose canyon on Mt. Lemmon.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:50 PM

I've joined the local fly fishing club, the San Pedro Flycasters. They're a good bunch of guys, but seem mainly focused on trout and expeditions to far away places like Chile, the Pacific northwest, and Alaska. I would like to start with fishing some of the near by lakes for bluegill, bream, crappie, etc. both for fun and to develop some casting skills. I am taking notes on your recommendation for Parker and Patagonia in April for bluegills, and Rose Canyon. Where do you go in Safford to fish? Is it on the Gila River?
Old 03-06-2009, 08:05 PM

Safford has a super high water table, so they have a lot of ponds. I fish Roper state park, Cluff Ranch, When the mountain opens Riggs Flat on Mt. Graham.

Then I have my secret spots

Fishing at Patagonia Lake for Bluegill. (summer time) I fish the marina at the corner where the fish cleaning station is. Good area for 25-30 foot cast. I use Trout Dry flies above the weed beds. Para Adams, Royal Wulffs, and so forth. Nothing big usually, but they are a hoot.

Rose Canyon- I only fish here when the road is closed and I hike in. When the gates open there are to many other places I can fish with not as many people.

I am heading to the white mountains in 2 weeks for some trout fishing, Then the first week in April I volunteered for the rebuilding of structure at Pena Blanca Lake. After that maybe we can get together at Patagonia.

Never been to a San Pedro flycaster meeting, but do know I think 1 person involved in that. Always thought about going, but decided that only forums is as close that i want to a club right now.

For more specific AZ fly fishing, check out AZFlyandtie
Old 04-05-2009, 05:05 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

welcome. little over 200 mi away from the 2 of you. i'm in el paso. the upper gila (nm) is about 1/2 way between us. might ought to meet up there sometime.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 04-06-2009, 07:54 PM

Never fished the upper Gila, what is found in those parts of the water.