The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/)
-   -   hello from LI NY (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/8443-hello-li-ny.html)

fly me 03-17-2009 04:54 PM

hello from LI NY

hello from LI fished for as long as i can remember started fly fishing 5 years ago and can't think of a better way to spend my time i hope i can get and give some good information and make new Friends

Hardyreels 03-17-2009 05:38 PM

Re: hello from LI NY

Hi Fly,

Is there any public water on the Carmen's River on LI yet? Do you know the history of the Carmen's River with Danial Webster and all that?

Again, Hi there, just wondered if you fish the springs there or if they still have any water in them.

Ard

Dr. Gonzo 03-17-2009 09:42 PM

Hey Ard - I dunno if this answers your questions but the carmans is mostly public parkland organized on the beat system where you pay to fish a section of the river - it's a nominal fee though I think 1-2 dollars. I think some portions of the headwaters are private but most of the water on the river is public. Below the dam that separates the

sadly, there is a massive plume of radioactive waste that is threatening the entire watershed and it remains to be seen what will happen to the river.

Hardyreels 03-17-2009 10:28 PM

Thanks Doc,

It was the seventies when I was last there so things have changed. I went to see the water where Dan Webster caught the biggest Brook Trout in history or so the tale goes. You can find the story in the book "Brook Trout" by Nick Karas. If you are living on the east coast or anywhere in the mid Atlantic region you should pick up a copy of this book. It will bring you up to speed on the history, biology, and range of "Salvanius Fountanalius" the brook trout.

I spent most of my life while fishing in my home range casting for the brook trout and kept an art print of one by Mark Susino hanging over my roll top desk in the den when I used to tie in great style. That was in another life, now things are more simple and I no longer dream of returning to Alaska to fish. Now I dream about being in the folded mountains of north central Pennsylvania crawling up to cast to a little brook trout.

Go figure? No matter where you are the fish are always better on the other side of the road.

Ard

peregrines 03-18-2009 06:05 PM

Hey Fly Me, welcome to the board.

Another LI'er here, (Nassau), lots of great fishing coming up soon (hopefully) in SW...

mark

Dr. Gonzo 03-18-2009 06:10 PM

I forgot to welcome the new guy! Sorry bud, I was focused on answering Ard's questions about the Carmans. I grew up on LI but now reside a little to the west in Brooklyn. Looking forward to exploring both fresh and salt options this spring now that I've got a S/W setup. If you're ever looking for fishing partners give a holler.

StreamerStripper 07-05-2009 01:48 AM

Hey another long islander here, I actually fish the carmans on almost a daily basis and the fishing there is actually pretty good especially if your into brookies. This beautiful little gem is actually home to its own strain of native brook trout ranging anywhere in size from 6" up to some good fish at the 16" mark which are rare suprises but do happen if you work for them. The entire river is fishable with a valid ny state licsence and a permit for the day for just $3 or $30 for the entire season. Now remeber the carmans has natrual springs which makes for stable temperatures all year long you can fish there in the middle of the summer with success its a great little place worth exploring, one of my favorite places on long island.:frogdance

peregrines 07-05-2009 03:17 PM

Hey Streamerstripper, welcome to the board. Another Long Island guy here.

Sounds like you're into some great fishing out there. I mostly fish in SW these days --- at least when it stops pouring.

Hope you have a great season!

mark

StreamerStripper 07-06-2009 10:23 AM

Hey Peregrines,

Thanks.. it took me a couple minutes to figure out what you meant by sw.... lol , Ive actually been trying to get into sw fishing around here either for schoolies or blues or anything. I picked up an 8 wt. orvis clearwater along with the battenkill large arbor they reccomended i get an intermediate line, i did then someone suggested i get rid of it and go with a floating line. I also picked up a kayak to go fly fishing out of I figured it would bne a good time, but its like a whole other ball game from fishing small spring creeks, rivers and lakes hahaha. If you had any advice I would be very appreciative thanks a lot.

Ricky