The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 11:18 PM

Bears22X is on a distinguished road
Default Hello, making the jump....

Hi all...

From Portland, Or.. been fishing for steelies and salmon for a couple of years now, but all with baitcaster and spinning reels.
Flyfishing looks like my kind of fishing as I've gone weary and tired of combat fishing. I think fly fishing is the best way to relax and enjoy the environment.
Anyhow I made some purchases....bought two 9ft Redington rods. A 2pc 5wt and a 4pc 9wt. I've matched the 5wt with a Okuma helios 4/5 but on the 9wt I've been thinking of pairing it with a Gloomis East Fork 7/8. Now is this reel substantially "undersize" for a 9wt rod? Or is this an "ok" setup to go with. I only got the rods b/c they were clearance items at Sportmans.
Also one more question as far as KNOTS go. Do you use the same type of knots for each reel, regardless of diff. weights? What I mean is... will those knots be just as effective whether you fish for trout/panfish or steelhead. I'm not at all familiar with flylines so I was afraid that knots may differ according to diff. types of fish.
I hope to learn more from all of you veteran flyfishers and getting to know you as well.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello, making the jump....

Hey Bear, welcome to the forum. You have a lot of great fishing in Portland, so you should have a blast, and you've picked 2 great fly weights, the 5 and 9, to cover you for a huge variety of different types of FF. Feel free to ask questions, there are a lot of helpful folks here that can get you off to a good start.

I don’t have any experience with the G Loomis fly reels, so you might want to ask for opinions on the gear forum under reels. But judging by the specs, the EastFork 7/8 will hold an 8 wt fly line with 150 yds of 30lb backing, which would be about 125 yds of 30lb backing with a 9 weight line. That should be fine for steelhead and kings. (If you were to fish for bonefish on the flats in Fla for example, you might want more backing capacity and could switch to about 185 yds of 20lb test Dacron.)

Other alternatives you might consider for reels are:

Lamson Konic 4 for use with 9 and 10 weight rods capacity is 240 yds of 30lb test Dacron with a weight forward 10 weight fly line, which would be about 270 with a weight forward 9. The reel goes for about 150 bucks. It is a pressure cast aluminum (as opposed to machined) reel, with a very good drag.

Lamson has also recently discontinued a few models of their fully machined reels that you can find at about 30% off list, with some places throwing in a free or discounted fly line:

Lamson Radius 3.5 for 8-9 weight rods, backing capacity 200 yds of 20lb (or about 170 yds of 30lb) with a 9 weight fly line, suggested retail 219 now 153.30

Lamson Velocity 3.5 for 8 and 9 weight rods, backing capacity 200 yds 20lb(or about 170 yds with 30lb) with a 9 weight fly line, suggested retail 289 now 202

As far as knots go, you’d use the same knots for different weight fly lines

Arbor knot- for backing to fly line

Albright knot- for backing to fly line.

Albright or Nail Knot- front of fly line to butt of leader

Double Surgeon or Blood knot tippet to front section of leader

Improved Clinch knot or non slip mono loop knot- fly to tippet

You can find them all here:
Grog's Fishing Knots Index

You can also use a loop to loop connection using two perfection loops between fly line and backing and fly line and leader for quick changes by connecting a short section of backing to the fly line (with an Albright knot), and a short section of 30lb or 40lb mono to the front of the fly line (with a Nail or Albright knot) knot, and making 9” perfection loops in the backing attached to the fly reel and the backing attached to the fly line. (This will allow you to change fly lines quickly if you want to switch from a floating line to a sink tip for example without the need to carry a spare spool) .

For the connection to the fly line and leader. A 2” perfection loop in the 30 or 40lb mono attached to the fly line, and a small perfection loop in the butt of the leader will allow you to change leaders easily on stream. There is a right way and a wrong way to attach loop to loops:
Loop-to-Loop Connection

Hope this helps.

mark
Old 03-19-2009, 09:56 PM

Bears22X is on a distinguished road

thanks for the info...
I know....Portland has lots of great places to fish. It's just time to try fly fishing. I need to get away from the crowds and actually take in the scenery. It just "feels" like the best way to fish...
Old 03-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hooking up with a local chapter of Trou Unlimited is a great way to get up to speed, meet some fishing buddies and get help with gear, casting. where to go, tactics, rigging etc etc.

You can find a chapter near you here:
Council/Chapter Search | Trout Unlimited - Conserving coldwater fisheries

Kaufmann's Streamborne is also a great shop and has info on area streams. They also have classes and onstream schools and would be a good place to go if you need gear and/or advice.
Kaufmann Streamborn - Fly Fishing Rods, Fly Fishing Reels, Flies and Fly Fishing Gear - Everything for the Fly Fisher - Since 1969 - Oregon - Home

Good luck,

mark