The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2009, 10:49 AM

bloodhound is on a distinguished road
Default First post on NAFFF

Hello to all and hope this finds everyone getting in some much needed practice or even better wetting of the line after such a horrible winter.
well, i currently take leave and go to the big horn river, Fort Smith Montana every Late August/ early September, using a st. croix triumph 5wt 9ft 2 piece with a cabelas lsr reel, hate the set up and it feels like a limp noodle in hand.
can anyone recomend a good rod for under or around 100-150 dollars that would cast tighter loops and be abit lighter in hand, i see cabelas has the st. croix reign for 65.00 and i am looking closely at the redfly 2. also i fish the root, white water, ect. southern MN smaller streams but very fun. if anyone has a good budget 5wt rod suggestion as i will eventually be getting a sage launch or st. croix avid 7' to 7' 6" 3-4 wt for around here and Montanan dry flies. thanks btw cthis site is very inforamtive.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First post on NAFFF

Bloodhound, welcome to the forum.

For Montana, I'm thinking you'd want a rod with some guts to cast a wide range of fly sizes including some hoppers and stoneflies, as well as other smaller dries, weighted nymphs, indicator/dropper rigs, and occasional streamers, as well as deal with windy conditions on big water. So unless you're fishing primarily small flies on spring creeks, I'd think the 5 weight would be more of a go to rod than a 3 or 4 weight.

So you may want to rethink the Sage Launch as a 5, and go with a less expensive rod for the smaller version. I haven't used one, but the Cabelas Three Forks 7'6" 3 weight is supposed to be a pretty sweet stick for not a lot of money (around 50 bucks) if you're looking for a short rod for small brushy streams fishing mostly small dries...

As for a 5 weight, you have a lot of choices and the best advice would be to try a bunch to see which ones sing sweet songs to you. In addition to the more expensive Launch, TFO and Redington make some good inexpensive rods. But I'd also give the Albright A5 9' 5 weight a good hard look. It's a great rod at a great price: A-5 Fly Rods - English

Good luck, I'm sure others will weigh in with some good recommendations too.

mark
Old 04-10-2009, 09:53 AM

thanks peregrines,
i picked up the redington redfly2 8'6" 5wt 2pc last night from a local gander mountain. and love the rod compared to the st. croix triumph 9' 6wt 2pc thats like 8 years old and had the tip broke and fixed by me. i was looking at the three forks rod or something small for around MN small streams, eventually i will be going somewhat higher end on my montana rod but for now i catch the **** out of 18-23 inch browns in small back riffles and shallow weedy area's with the st. croix with no problems, just sucks trying to get the fly out in the wind like you stated. well have fun and tight line to all.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi bloodhound,

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for joining up.

I think you made a good choice with the Redfly 2 rod. It is a lot of rod for $99 and a lifetime warranty. How do you compare the action of the Redfly 2 to your old Triumph?

Frank

Redington Redfly 2, 8'6"
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Great choice Bloodhound, you'll have a blast with that rod. Good luck with it.

mark
Old 04-12-2009, 09:05 AM

so far casting it a t work, i noticed a lighter feel in hand, and it feels a little sloppy still but i'm sure its because i am running orvis wonderline 3 wf6 on a 5wt rod, looking to get the RIO Nymph or grand trout 5 wt line. thanks for your input guys and the color is a bit odd but it's all in all a very solid looking and feeling rod. come april 18 i will be going trout fishing in southern MN and will repost on how the rod handled with real use. next i will might get one of those 7' 3wt rods i saw someone had the link to streamliner or whatever. tight lines everyone.