The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 09:53 AM

2Gringos is on a distinguished road
Default Hello from Turks and Caicos Islands

Hello. This is my first post. By way of introduction, I am an American who moved to the Turks and Caicos Islands four years ago. The wife, myself, and a little Jack Russell Terrierist who thinks he runs things. We boat a lot, fish a lot, snorkel a lot, dive for conch, etc.

I have somehow found myself becoming a founding partner to develop a bonefishing lodge here. I fly fished for trout in the rivers of New England 20 years ago, but really don't know much about saltwater fly fishing or bonefishing. But I figure if I am going to be part owner of a business, I better learn something about it.

So far, I have seen miles and miles of totally untouched bonefishing and tarpon flats in this country. And I can see bonefish from the window of the house without even leaving the island we live on.

So, that's it for now. I am here to learn, and maybe even contribute something from time to time. Boats, I know. Flyrods...not so much.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Hello from Turks and Caicos Islands

Hi 2Gringos,

Welcome to NAFFF. I hope you enjoy the forum and get to know us.

For those who don't know where the Turks and Caicos Islands are located. They are the tail end of the Bahama chain of islands. The are about 150 miles almost due North from Haiti. 2Gringos correct me if I am wrong.

Frank
Old 04-10-2009, 10:20 AM

Yessir, you are absolutely right. The TCI is a British Overseas Territory,same as the Caymans. Part of the British West Indies. Geologically the same as the southern Bahamas, but politically a different country. We are still part of the UK. The Bahamas are independent. We are due north of the border between Haiti and the Dominican Republic on their single island of Hispaniola.

The water here is absolutely incredible. Clear blues, and turquoise. I have scads of photos if there is ever any reason to post some. Outstanding diving, and fishing. We have a couple boats and have been fishing offshore, outside the reef, for several years catching yellowfin tuna, wahoo, dolphin (mahi), cerro mackerel, grouper, snapper, etc. I have just started getting interested in salt water fly fishing, and thought that joining a forum would be a great way to learn. Last week I was in a small boat on another of the 40 islands here, and I could not believe the bonefish I was seeing. I have never caught one, but they are all over the place here. I was talking to a local about it, and he said he had caught 10 lb. bonefish and maybe from time to time something slightly bigger. that got my attention, as I was looking at three 'normal' size fish ( hold hands about 14" apart) and one that was half again as big when we had this discussion.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Welcome to the group, though many of us may think you need a noggin-spank for having never thrown flies at those bonefish outside your window.

Better late than never. We'll be happy to help.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:59 AM

I know, I know. I don't even own a fly rod and reel, yet. I will be in the US in a couple weeks for a visit and plan to bring a couple back with me.

I have a really good friend ( for 43 years now) who runs a fly fishing lodge in Montana, and he was just here last week visiting. He told me the same thing, that I need to start fly fishing. He is going to loan me a couple setups until I figure out which ones I like. Which I will do after I know something about them. Problem is his lodge is an Orvis sponsored one, so that's the only brand he talks about. Do they make good equipment? I remember seeing them, I think, once when I was driving up to the Battenkill in Vt. to fish many years ago.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

WOW, sounds like you're going to be having a ball down there. In addition to those bonefish, all those other fish can be caught on a fly too, and if you can catch them busting bait on top you can throw stuff like poppers and crease flies and watch the water detonate as they crush them on the surface. Sounds like you'll need a bunch of gear to take advantage of all the fly fishing opportunities down there.

You may want to pick up some fly tying stuff too when you're in the states. By comparison, SW flies are a lot easier to tie compared to FW trout flies, and use inexpensive materials--- but buying SW flies can be pretty expensive, especially if you're in the middle of a tropical paradise.

SW fish, especially bones and the other fish you mentioned especially tunoids can be tough on reels, so investing in some good ones would be the way to go, but they're expensive. Perhaps you can get some Pro deals from gear companies through the lodge?

For your first bonefish rod, a 9' 8 weight rod, (in a 4 piece model to be able to check in over head luggage for air travel) would be a good choice. Your fish may be smaller than Florida Keys bones, so others might go as light as a 6 or 7 weight in the Bahamas, but the 8 will give you more options in wind, and you should be able to throw stuff a bit easier with it than a lighter rod. If you were to add another rod for the other offshore fish, a 9' 10 weight would be perfect.

There are a bunch of great rods out there depending on your budget, with different "actions" depending on your casting stroke. Most hardcore SW folks prefer fast action rods for dealing with wind, but these can be more difficult to learn on since the timing is a bit more critical. I would look into a fast action rod to grow into, (not a superfast rod like a Sage TCR at least for your first rod to learn on, but something with some guts that doesn't bend down to the cork when you cast 20 feet). Add a very good TROPICAL weight forward floating line like the Bonefish lines from Rio or Scientific Angler. If you can try out lines, try using one rated for the "weight" of the rod (an 8 weight line on an 8 weight rod) as well as one 1 line weight up ( a 9 weight line on an 8 weight rod). "Overlining may be easierto cast with a fast action rod if you're new to fly casting. For a fly reel, a solid bullet proof SW reel (consider a Tibor, or the slightly less expensive, "old school" Pate) capable of holding your fly line and at least 200 yds of 20lb backing (and 300 yds of 30lb if you go with a 10 weight for other species). If you're on a tight budget there are other choices for reels as well, but these reels have a proven track record, flawless drag, and will stand up to the abuse these fish are capable of dishing out, and you'll still be able to pass them along to your grandkids. Since you'll be living down there, as opposed to a 5 day visit, investing in a top quality reel would be a very wise investment IMHO.

Let us know if you want a shopping list--- we love to spend other peoples' money!

mark
Old 04-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Gringos View Post
I know, I know. I don't even own a fly rod and reel, yet. I will be in the US in a couple weeks for a visit and plan to bring a couple back with me.

I have a really good friend ( for 43 years now) who runs a fly fishing lodge in Montana, and he was just here last week visiting. He told me the same thing, that I need to start fly fishing. He is going to loan me a couple setups until I figure out which ones I like. Which I will do after I know something about them. Problem is his lodge is an Orvis sponsored one, so that's the only brand he talks about. Do they make good equipment? I remember seeing them, I think, once when I was driving up to the Battenkill in Vt. to fish many years ago.
Orvis makes very adequate stuff, but not generally held to be the best value out there. Hopefully your buddy can cut you some deals that will knock their prices down. Or you could get some of their less expensive gear, like a TLS powermatrix rod and a Battenkill Mid-Arbor reel that would likely do just fine down there, with proper maintenance.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:00 PM

Hot dang, I am getting knowledgeable advice already. Thanks!! I knew I was in the right place when I saw you fellers. This forum has that ring of serious about it, ya know?

You mentioned wind...we always have wind here. This is in the Trade Winds and we can pretty much count on something at least 10 and up to 15-20 mph on most days. Days with light winds, under 5 mph, are pretty rare.

Also, that line weight looks pretty light. Are you sure? A fifty to seventy pound yellowfin tuna is not uncommon. 20 to 40 lb wahoo are the average, with some monsters topping a hundred pounds around. For example.

I am mostly interested in bonefish, though. SO much that we went out and had some for breakfast at a native restaurant Sunday morning. First time I ever tried one.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, fly fishing lingo can be a little confusing, sorry about that. In fly casting, since the fly is basically a bit of fluff with no weight, when you cast you're actually casting the weight of the fly line as opposed to casting the weight of a lure like a spinning or baitcasting rod.

So weight refers to the actual weight of the fly line as opposed to the lb test, like spinning and baitcasting. (The weight designation is a standardized formula based on the weight in grains of the first 30 feet of fly line.) You'd pair it up with a fly rod designed to cast that particular weight fly line- an 8 weight fly rod is designed to cast an 8 weight fly line, a 10 weight rod is designed to cast a 10 weight line.

Fly lines are made around a core, and the actual breaking strength of fly lines for 8 and 9 weights and smaller, lighter fly lines is around 20lbs. At around 10 weight and up through 12 weight the breaking strength is around 30 lbs and it jumps up to 40lbs for the really big stuff like tuna in 14 weight lines and up.

On the end of the fly line you'd use a tapered monofilament or fluoro leader-tapered with a thick butt of 30lb test down to about 8-12 lb test to the fly for bonefish. This will help layout the fly on the end of the cast so it doesn't collapse on the end of your fly line in a heap. For offshore stuff like wahoo and mahi, and big inshore flats stuff like tarpon if you have them, you'd want a leader with a butt section of 40lb tapered down to 16 or 20lb test and a short 12" or so section of shock leader- probably 60 or 80lb mono right at the fly to prevent bite offs or wearing through on bony jaws. For sharks and maybe wahoo you might want a short "shock tippet" of wire instead of heavy mono.

A 10 weight is fine for mahi, and football size tuna, and probably most wahoo. If you're going after stuff comparable to a large 100 + tarpon, 60+lbs yft or bft and/or sailfish on a regular basis you might want a 12 weight too.... Marlin and giant bluefin you're talking 14 weights and up. But a 10 is a much more forgiving weight to cast, and you'd get more all around use out of it than a 12 or heavier rod unless you're specifically targeting the big stuff.

The reason reels are so important is that fish like bonefish on the flats will take off and run 100+ yards, and the drag on the reel is critical. Bigger fish, like small tuna, wahoo and such may peel off 200 yds in the blink of an eye, and they can literally smoke/blowup less well designed reels. Your fish down there can really put a hurting on gear compared to most other SW fish including our striped bass and bluefish up here, and there is no comparison to freshwater fish like trout and bass where the reel is mostly used to hold line as opposed to actually fighting fish.

You are about to embark on an incredible journey my friend. Lot's of good times ahead for you with those fish down there.

mark

PS if you have a bonefish lodge and they're selling bonefish for breakfast down there that could be a problem... are ther any protections on your flats down there? The tourism could be a very welcome source of revenue dollars, and perhaps you'll need to make a case for some protection from commercial albeit small scale but widespread native fishery...
Old 04-10-2009, 04:35 PM

Well, this sounds very interesting. I am, admittedly, a gadget freak. IF there is a technical aspect to something, I like it a lot more. I won't even tell you about my archery days. Or my reloading years..

The same locals who took me around some bonefishing areas also were telling me about tarpon in the same areas. We were not equipped to go after those. We were mostly just scoping it out because of this lodge opportunity. I jumped over the side on a rocky sand bar and found two conch. We cut those up and caught a mutton snapper and a yellowtail. I know that's not fly fishing, but ....

Are Florida bonefish bigger than the Bahamas version? I would assume we have the same type as in the Bahamas, but then again the places we are looking at are pretty pristine, too. We did not see another fisherman or boat on those flats all day long. and there are miles of them.