The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 10:32 PM

bruss is on a distinguished road
Default new member, new to fly fishin' !

hello, from CT, title says it all
Old 01-05-2011, 01:04 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new member, new to fly fishin' !

the reply says it all
Old 01-05-2011, 04:51 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Bruss,

I think that you'll enjoy fly fishing. You'll find a lot of useful information on this forum that will help you get started in the right direction; although there are so many directions in fly fishing now that I'm not really sure that there is a "right" one anymore.

Anyway, enjoy the sport! Feel free to ask questions and make comments.

Pocono
Old 01-05-2011, 05:30 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Welcome, you will enjoy fly fishing, I do.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hey bruss, welcome to the forum--- you live in a great state for fly fishing--- and we have quite a few members for CT that chase all kinds of stuff from trout, panfish, bass, shad and pike in freshwater to stripers and blues in salt.

You'll probably have a ton of questions as you get into it, so feel free to shout -- I think you'll find folks here to be very helpful. And browse through the FAQ sections and some of the older threads - there's a ton of info and it might prompt you to ask more questions you hadn't thought about.

There are also a lot of very active fly fishing clubs in CT (as well as some great fly shops). Most clubs have informative monthly meetings, group trips to local waters, and have or formal classes and or more informal clinic type instruction in casting and tying. And it's a good way to meet some new fishing buddies. Joining a club that welcomes folks that are new to fly fishing is probably the best way to accelerate your learning curve.

You can do a search here for Trout Unlimited chapters:
Council/Chapter Contacts | Trout Unlimited - Conserving coldwater fisheries

And here for clubs affiliated with the Federation of Fly Fishers:
Locate a Club

Good luck and make your self at home here!

mark
Old 01-05-2011, 12:20 PM

bruss is on a distinguished road

thnks guys thats great info, im already soaking up what i can from here, im in a rod and gun club and we have a smallish pond thats stocked with trout and the guys there are giving me all kinds of tips too, i will look into some of the other clubs..cant wait for the defreeze ! just got a cabelas traditional II 9' 5wt and loomis venture 5 reel to learn with
Old 01-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi & Welcome to the group,

Forums aren't like hands on with a buddy but this forum can give you access to some very experienced people and their advice. With variety being the spice of life 'and learning', membership in a group with such widespread coverts of fishing knowledge can do no harm at all.

I hope you become an active poster here and I wish you good results in your first season,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful addiction of everything related to fly fishing.

IMO Probably the best thing a beginner could do is join a local club, but do not do like me. I waited 25 years to do so.

After fly fishing for 25 years a couple months ago I finally joined the local fly fishing club, but waited till last night to attend my first meeting, boy do I wish I hadn't waited. It was a blast I even won a fly box full of flies in a raffle for our local waters tied by club members. Mind you others in the same raffle won $25 & $35 gift certificates to local fly shops, but I'm pleased as punch.

More relevant to you as a new Fly Fisher; some version of of the following is common to all the Fly fishing clubs I've heard of accross the county. My club the California Fly Fishers Unlimited has Beginning/Intermediate/and Advanced Casting, Fly Fishing, Fly Tying, Fly Rod Building, Entomology, Clinics, a Mentor Program and more.

I wish I had joined 25 years ago...I would likely be far more advanced.

Although I was pleased to discover last night from the Clubs FFF Certified Casting Instructor that I have an above average casting stroke, but if its true, I'm confident that is the only area related to fly fishing that I'm more than mediocre.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 01-05-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Bruss: Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing! I hope you learn to enjoy the sport as much as we do. Jump in and make yourself welcome, we would love to hear your progress and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Larry