The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 01:05 PM

kevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the rough
Default Novice from STL

Hello to all and thank you for such a wonderful site, a true wealth of information.

A little bit about me:

I'm a 24 year old father and husband, born and raised just outside St. Louis County, MO. I got big into bass fishing in my teens, had a boat and more rods, reels, and tackle than I needed by the time I was 18. I still have the rods and reels, and the passion to fish, but the boat had to go.

When I sold the boat, it wasn't a big loss, as I had already discovered wading smaller rivers for smallmouth, usually the Meramec up around Cuba/Steelville area. While doing that, I've caught a very few trout, a couple as long as my arm, on 6 or 8 pound line with 1/4 oz mepp's spinners, which got me interested in doing some more trout fishing.

As the topic says, I'm a complete novice at fly fishing, but I am passionate about fishing in general and quite the fisherman when it comes to spinning and baitcasting tackle. I'm an expert, just ask me!

Fly fishing is my new thing, I have yet to even make a successful fly cast. I've got an acquaintance who is a pretty accomplished fly fisher, and I hope to get some instruction from him, and from the local shop.

I looked into the Ozark fly fishing classes, as they are held close to where I live, but unfortunately I work second shift, and the classes are held in the evenings on the weeknights. I would welcome the chance to work with anyone local to me on casting, fly selection and tying, and the overall basics of the sport.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:11 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all
Default Re: Novice from STL

Welcome Kev,
Youve come to the right place to cut your fly fishing teeth. Happy to have you join the community and I look forward to hearing about your progression as a fly fisherman.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 01-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Kev looking forward to reading your posts and reports.Fell free to ask questions,there are lots af experienced flyfishermen here to help you.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi kevthebassman,

If you are close to St Louis then Feather-Craft gives free casting lessons every Saturday morning. I don't know about Winter time though. I would give them a call and see what they can do for you. 1-800-659-1707

Or, better yet just stop by and have a great time looking at all the fly fishing gear. Everyone who works there is very knowledgeable about fly fishing. They have a full selection of rods from most manufactures.

Frank
Old 01-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Kev,

Frank has said more than I would have known. Excellent info there! Welcome to the forum and I hope you become an active poster here.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Kevin welcome aboard-- you have lot of great fishing there in the the Missouri trout parks and in streams like the Meramac-- (whenever i was traveling through St Louis, I always used to take some extra time to fish the area around cardiac hill, and it was always a treat). And since you've been a very successful bass fisherman you can put a lot of that to good use too when you start terrorizing those same largemouth and smallmouth with a fly rod.

You're also blessed with some great fly shops--- In addition to Feather-Craft Feather-Craft Fly Fishing | Fly Fishing Rods, Reels, Waders, Flies, Fly Tying Materials | Sage Rods | Simms Waders | Since 1955

there's also T. Hargrove THargroveInc

Both are excellent shops with great folks.

Although working the 2nd shift might make it difficult to make a lot of meetings, you might want to consider looking into a local fly fishing group-- like a local Trout Unlimited chapter or a FF club affiliated with e Federation of Fly Fishers. Most will have casting clinics, informative meetings tying classes and group trips to local waters. It's a great way to speed up the learning process.

For find local TU chapters
Council/Chapter Contacts | Trout Unlimited - Conserving coldwater fisheries

For local FFF affiliated clubs:
Locate a Club

As you get into it you'll probably have tons of questions so feel free to shout-- lots of folks here that can help get you going. There's also a lot of info in the FAQ sectiosn and in past threads to browse through that might help-- or lead to more questions.

Good luck!
Old 01-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Kev: Welcome to the forum and the great sport of Fly Fishing! We have lots of folks on this forum that are more than willing to help, so don't hesitate to ask questions.

Larry

Old 01-07-2011, 09:58 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum. Let us know about your fly fishing adventures.

MP
Old 01-07-2011, 10:34 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

welcome to the forum kev. sounds like you have some nice options for honing your fly fishing skills down there. i'll look forward to hearing about your experiences. so being from stl, i'm gonna assume you're a cardinals fan. that being said........
Click the image to open in full size.
go cubs!

casey

ARFE
Old 01-07-2011, 11:09 PM

merkin_muffley is on a distinguished road

Casey- I'm so sorry

Kev- If there were one bit of advise I could impart to you, it'd be to take a stroll down Manchester to T. Hargrove's shop in Rock Hill. It's a real cool, mom-and-pop type flyshop, with a friendly, cordial, and knowledgeable staff and a slew of regulars- hang around there a while and you'l learn everything you need to know about fly-fishing in Missouri, and a bunch of other places in the states and abroad.

If you haven't already, I'd try to find a copy of Chuck Tryon's book Fly Fishing for Trout in Missouri. It may be out of print, but available at your local library or on Amazon. It goes into pretty good detail about the mechanics of fly fishing, lines, leaders, tippet, knots, hatches, and places in Missouri to fish for trout, and is an excellent resource. I'd also look into the Ozark Fly Fishers- it's a pretty active group of St. Louis based flyfishing club and, although they do meet during evenings, they often have fly-tying seminars and other events on weekends.

Good luck!