The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 08:53 PM

Scott Spencer is on a distinguished road
Default Hello from Alabama

Hello everyone, my name is Scott Spencer. I'm not only new here on the forum but pretty much a newbie to fly fishing as well. I haven't fly fished since I was a teen and I'm now 48...therefore I consider myself a newbie. I started with, and still have, my dad's 1947 split bamboo rod and one of his old martin automatic reels. Needless to say, those items have been retired to a shadow box on the wall.

My wife and I love to fish, hunt, and camp, and we have decided to get into fly fishing as a hobby which we can both share. Needless to say, Alabama is not exactly known for its spectacular trout fishing, or fly fishing in general, so we are looking forward to learning a lot from you experienced fisherman on this forum.

I'm not sure that I will be able to actually contribute anything to the site for a while so I'll just kick back, read, and learn for a while.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from Alabama

Hey Scott welcome to the board. You and your wife should have a blast down there with a fly rod-- bass and panfish in FW and if you take trips to the Gulf there are reds and specs to chase.

A good way to learn is to hook up with a fly fishing club affiliated with the Federation of Fly Fishers. They offer casting clinics, group trips and a great environment for learning. And you'll meet some new friends along the way. There are two in Alabama, one in Birmingham and one in Huntsville:

Locate a Club

Keep posting, ask questions, and tell stories. There are a bunch of friendly folks here that will go out of their way to help. Good luck!

mark
Old 04-30-2009, 10:25 AM

Scott Spencer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hello from Alabama

Thank you so much, Mark! I've joined a local chapter of TU (Sipsey Fork) and our first lessons are planned for this Sat morning.

I'll get in touch with the Birmingham FOFF chapter contact as well.

Scott