The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/)
-   -   New Member, in south florida! (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/9179-new-member-south-florida.html)

CowboyJustin26 04-29-2009 12:25 PM

New Member, in south florida!

Hello folks, my name is Justin, and I am a newbie when it comes to flyfishing, a friend of mine left his flyrod at my house and moved away, when I called him and asked if he wanted me to ship the rod, he said no keep it and use it. So, I will do just that, I think! Now, when I say this, trust me I mean it...I know more about the space shuttle then I do about fly fishing, and thats not saying much.

So basically I am gonna be asking alot of questions, and trying to figure this out. I just hope it's not like when I decided to learn how to cast conventional reels, god...that was a disaster...took me about a month, but I got it now, thank god! I am going to Bass Pro Shops in Dania Beach Florida tomorrow afternoon for some lessons, I also spoke to the man who gives the lesson for 2 hours last night in bass pro shops, and some of the stuff he said was absolutely amazing. He also said something that kind of set me back, but **** happens. I told him I would like to try and catch permit on a fly rod, and he said he's been fly fishing for 20 years in saltwater and never caught a permit, that was disappointing, but I will deal with it.

So yeah anyway, I am going to learn how to do this, I am very interested.

Hope to hear from some of you if not all of you soon,
Justin

Frank Whiton 04-29-2009 12:46 PM

Re: New Member, in south florida!

Hi Justin,

Welcome to the forum. You are off to a good start getting some casting lessons. The lessons will greatly reduce your learning curve.

Catching Permit on a fly rod is a very specialized endeavor. Being in South Florida will place you in some very good saltwater fly rod fishing. You will have better luck fishing for more numerous fish that are easier to catch. After you have a good back ground in saltwater fly fishing you can target specific fish like Permit. Permit fishing is not cheap and requires a guide to help and educate you.

Frank

CowboyJustin26 04-29-2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Whiton (Post 58174)
Hi Justin,

Welcome to the forum. You are off to a good start getting some casting lessons. The lessons will greatly reduce your learning curve.

Catching Permit on a fly rod is a very specialized endeavor. Being in South Florida will place you in some very good saltwater fly rod fishing. You will have better luck fishing for more numerous fish that are easier to catch. After you have a good back ground in saltwater fly fishing you can target specific fish like Permit. Permit fishing is not cheap and requires a guide to help and educate you.

Frank

I've caught permit on the piers on crabs, but never had a net and always had to break the line cause there is no way in hell your gonna flip a good size permit over the rail of a pier, even with 30lbs mainline and 50lbs fluro leader. So I have some experience in permit fishing, but never actually got my hands on one, have had it up and down next to the pier and had to cut the line. :frown::icon_frow

BigCliff 04-29-2009 01:31 PM

Welcome to the board and the sport, and pardon my smartassery with your other post.

Permit are tough on fly because they're quite picky, and key in on the movement and smell of live crabs. Redfish and bass will be a better fish to start with. I've seen footage of Reds being caught in the marshes right near where they launch the Shuttle, in fact.

Casting lessons are a great idea, as are knowing as many people with experience who's brains you can pick.

CowboyJustin26 04-29-2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCliff (Post 58185)
Welcome to the board and the sport, and pardon my smartassery with your other post.

Permit are tough on fly because they're quite picky, and key in on the movement and smell of live crabs. Redfish and bass will be a better fish to start with. I've seen footage of Reds being caught in the marshes right near where they launch the Shuttle, in fact.

Casting lessons are a great idea, as are knowing as many people with experience who's brains you can pick.

hehe, I like picking the brains of people with knowledge of what I want to know, it's fun! :icon_razz:icon_razz:icon_razz:icon_razz yes, I am twisted...but anyhoo

peregrines 04-30-2009 07:47 AM

Justin-

Man you're going to have a blast. There are so many fish to chase down there- snook, redfish, baby tarpon, jacks, specs, ladyfish, cuda, snappers, sharks.... Permit are a possibility- you never know--- but they are very tough to target specifically with a fly rod.

You also have a ton of stuff to throw at in fresh water too down there. Getting some casting lessons will get you off to a great start. Keep asking questions, and congrats on having a great friend. That's a great guy!

mark