The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 03:39 PM

son_of_morg is on a distinguished road
Default Moving to NM from the UK

Hello,

My name is James and I'm an interloper here from the sister UK forum. Due to work commitments I'm going to be spending 6 months or so of 2011 in Albuquerque NM. Unfortunately the timing of my visits to the USA coincide with the best fly fishing in the UK - so I hope to make up for it by experiencing something new.

I'm a very keen fly fisherman (probably 100+ trips/year) and also an avid tournament caster (120+ feet with a #5). I particularly enjoy saltwater fishing and two species that I need to catch are redfish and tarpon (I've jumped a few of the latter, but never landed one). That said, I'm keen to experience anything the US has to offer - I'm sure I'll get some time off for traveling.

So if anyone has any suggestions for some mustn't miss fishing, or if you want to meet up for some casting practice (or beers) then drop me a line.

Many thanks, James
Old 01-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Moving to NM from the UK

James,

You are now a member (we have no interlopers ) With a bit of time behind the wheel of your auto I think you'll find both fishing opportunities and some of our South West members. There are worse places to be during trout season than NM.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-16-2011, 04:47 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

James: Welcome aboard and I hope you enjoy your trip to NM. The only place I have fished in NM is the San Juan River below the Navajo Dam north of Albuquerque NM. It is great fishing but gets pretty crowded in the summer, it you can fish it early in the spring you will have less crowding. Crittergetter and I did a float on the San Juan in Nov and it was pretty crowded, which really surprised me. In the past I had fished the river in the spring and it was way less crowded.

Larry

Old 01-16-2011, 05:45 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Moving to NM from the UK

Larry, I was also surprised to hear the San Juan was crowded in November, but come to think of it, the last few times I've been up there it has always been crowded - I expect it to be in July but not in the fall. A lot of the guides I know up there swear by the winter as the best time, and maybe it is (or maybe it's guides trying to beef up the slow season ), but clearing ice out of my rod guides is a problem I hope never to have.

James, like Larry and Ard said, you'll be well-situated in Albuquerque for some pretty good trout fishing. The San Juan can be pressured and technical like tailwaters tend to be, but there is a lot of other good trout water in New Mexico and southern Colorado within driving distance (the San Juan is about 3 hours' drive from Albuquerque, & the Colorado border is 2-3 hours, depending on your direction). While 18-22"+ Rainbows are plentiful on the San Juan, much of the other trout water in New Mexico is high altitude small-streams in beautiful country with smaller but no less feisty trout, and not highly-pressured if you're willing to hike away from the roadside access points. If you'll do a Forum search for "New Mexico" or look under the Rocky Mountains Range section under the header, "Fly Fishing in the United States", you should find a fair amount of more specific discussion about where and when; here's one recent link for starters: Red River, New Mexico Trip

When it comes to redfish and tarpon, however, I think you'll have to be flying for that, but I'm sure you knew that already. Even though I live on the Texas Gulf Coast where redfish is plentiful, I rarely fish the salt, so couldn't advise you on tarpon. I'm sure there'll be plenty of others knowing more than I to help you on that, however.

Welcome aboard, and I know you'll enjoy your stay in New Mexico, a vacation destination for many Americans (like yours truly)!

Neil

Last edited by Fly2Fish; 01-16-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:24 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Good having you post over here as well. Lots of good people here to help with the NM fishing.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:52 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Welcome James! I know nothing about New Mexico, but I'm positive you will find a lot useful information on this forum for fishing those parts. Red fish is something that is on my to-do list as well.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:17 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Welcome...

I am partial to Norther NM because I grew up there. The San Juan was surprisingly busy this fall as Larry said. That being said we got into some really nice fish (of course my ability to put a fish in the net paled compared to the landing mastery of Larry... ) (if you get a chance I recommend asking any on this site to partner up for a fishing outing. Truly there are great people here)

There are tons of good fly fishing spots from ABQ. Van Beacham wrote a detailed book on Fly Fishing NM. In Toas he has a wonderful guide service and fly shop. The people are very friendly. Fly Fishing in the Taos NM area, also Colorado and Wyoming Follow this link to see all the publishing Van does Van Beacham's Solitary Angler Publisher Profile - iContact Community

Another more public water Toas shop is Full Service Fly Fishing Shop & Guiding Trips / Taos Fly Shop - Taos New Mexico

I haven't fished near Santa Fe but it is within 45 minutes of drive time.

Good luck and enjoy NM. I hope you like spicy foods
CritterGetter