The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 12:09 PM

bm3moose is on a distinguished road
Default New guy from Indiana

Click the image to open in full size.

Hello all. Just found the forum a few weeks ago, still trying to process all the information. A buddy of mine and I taught ourselves how to fly fish this past summer and I've been addicted ever since. I currently live in Boston but I've finished four years in the Coast Guard so I'm moving back to southern Indiana to spend some time with my family and do some honest work. I'm hoping to fish 7-8 days a week and I've been scouting out places to go. Currently I've only fished for warm water species, Bass, Bluegill, Crappie, Pickerel but I'm dying to catch a trout, I think I'll probably cry when I do. People might wonder why there's a man sobbing on a stream but this sport is spiritual for me. I'd definitely like to send my appreciation out to Bob at Bass Pro Shops of Foxborough for helping me with my cast and being a library of information and not trying to talk me into a $1000 outfit...yet.

Noah
Old 02-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New guy from Indiana

Noah on the forum.Great not to forget to thank those who helped you to start
Old 02-01-2011, 12:24 PM

ghostdncr has a spectacular aura aboutghostdncr has a spectacular aura about

Welcome aboard, Noah! I live right across the river in Louisville, but used to live over in Clarksville. I try to hit the Cumberland River for trout as often as possible, which is about the closest trout water I've found. Although 130 miles SSW of Louisville, it's not too difficult to tie into a rainbow or a brown once you get dialed in. What part of southern Indiana are you coming back to?

the764
Old 02-01-2011, 02:23 PM

I'll be in Madison. I'm taking over operations for my fathers Recycling business so that one day he can maybe retire. I've convinced him to get back into fly fishing too if I can ever pry him off the shooting range. I've also read about a stream that has just recently started being fished near louisville, starts with an S. Said it's only good during the cooler months, and closer to me is Brookville Tailwater which I've heard produces some good trout, it's about 2.5 hours from Louisville. Any good fly shops in Louisville I should check out, I'm down there almost every weekend.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Noah: Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing! I'm not familiar with Indiana so I can't help with finding some good trout fishing, but maybe some other members can give you some suggestions.

Larry

Old 02-01-2011, 07:26 PM

You should PM me the name of that S stream, Noah. I'm only aware of one possible nearby but have never fished it. I've often thought of hitting it but there always seems to be somewhere else that looks fish-ier.

I've only recently heard of Brookville. Sounds like a two mile stretch of stocked tailwater but a neighbor of mine says he goes up there on "opening day" (stocking day) every year and camps. Aerial views of the water look pretty nice.

The nearest fly shop I've found is located in Clarksville's Bass Pro Shop. It's pretty nice for around here.

the764
Old 02-01-2011, 08:00 PM

I'm not too far up the road from Clarksville, my parents are down there a lot. They saw the kids who did canon balls into the fish tank. I'm hoping to get a few more casting lessons. I haven't learned how to double haul yet, I've been kind of improvising and doing ok but I know it will allow me a lot more range and power in the wind. This whole trout thing makes me nervous, I need a mentor. I plan on doing some camping off of my dual sport and fish all the streams I can in IN and Kentucky.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:08 PM

Your dual sport?!?! As in motorcycle? I've been into the DS thing for years. Got an old KTM 950A right now that I've been trying to get licensed for almost a year. Finally got the plate day before yesterday.

I'll be glad to get you onto trout. Just a matter of schedule alignment.

the764
Old 02-01-2011, 09:19 PM

You a member of ADV. I lurk there a lot. Did a couple rides out here in Mass with a large group. Right now I'm on a CRF230L for a beginner bike, but I really need something larger, I've got my eye on a Yamaha WR250R or the Honda XR650L. Glad you were able to get it plated, if you are interested in some riding and fishing let me know. I'll be sure to try and set something up.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:37 PM

Count me in! I don't have the Katoom set up for serious ADV work, but it can work just fine for fishing duties. I've got some cockpit time on both the Yamaha WR250R and the Honda XR650L, as well as the XL650R, and I'll ALWAYS opt for Honda's big thumpers. The Yamaha is just too off-road oriented for my tastes. The big pigs make much better all-arounders, in my opinion. Riding the 950A is sorta like being shot out of a cannon sideways, though. It's hard to imagine going back to a thumper after that.

I'm already thinking I might drive down to that S stream this weekend and see what's up.

the764