- About bigjim5589
- I've been an angler for about 50 years. My father started me young, bait fishing for White perch in the tributaries of the Chesapeake Bay, and my interest in fishing grew from there. I operated a small mail order & internet tackle business for 15 years. I tied flies, made lures & sold various tackle items. I still enjoy tying flies & making lures! I've been tying flies for about 45 years, and making lures almost as long.
I'm primarily a warmwater & tidalwater angler, but will fish for any species when I get the opportunity. My favorite fish species are Smallmouths in freshwater, and Striped Bass in tidal.
I use all types of tackle, but enjoy fly fishing the most, and have learned a lot of things about fishing & myself as a result of fly fishing.
I think that anyone who truly wants to improve their fishing skills should learn as much as they can, even if that means trying something they may not otherwise.
Mike Iaconelli, one of my favorite pro anglers says "never give up!" I agree, but will add to never stop learning too!
- Manning, S. C. (formerly MD)
- Fishing, fly fishing, fly tying, tackle craft, hunting, trapping, gardening, my kids & my grandkids!
- CEO, J. Hester Fly and Tackle Co.
- Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!