The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Mexican Caribbean (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/mexican-caribbean/)
-   -   Headed for Belize! (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/mexican-caribbean/300222-headed-belize.html)

gbanker 10-22-2012 06:57 PM

Headed for Belize!

Wife and I are headed for Belize in early November. Going to stay at Turneffe Flats Lodge for a week. Plan on bringing 8 wts for bonefish, 10 wts for barracuda and permit and an 11 wt for tarpon. Have I covered all the bases? Will try to take some pictures and post upon returning.

Pocono 10-22-2012 07:07 PM

Re: Headed for Belize!

My wife and I were at Turneffe Flats 2 years ago. You'll enjoy your stay; great fishing, friendly people, great hosts and knowledgeable guides.

For the Bones, I fished a 7 wt.; overlined with an 8 or 9 wt. line. My wife fished an 8 wt. rod overlined with a 9 wt. line. The Bones at Turneffe are not that large, but the wind is always up; hence the lighter rod/heavier line. For Permit you'll probably be in the lagoon; much less wind than on the outside flats where the Bones are; we used 9 wt. rods/9 wt. line and they worked fine. We didn't see any Tarpon, but I had my 11 wt. rod/11 wt. line with me; just in case.................!

Pocono

MoscaPescador 10-22-2012 08:19 PM

You have it covered.

gretch6364 01-07-2014 04:50 PM

How was the fishing and accomidations? Did you do any diving?

buddhist_palm 01-07-2014 05:30 PM

I really like that usually there is someone here on this forum that has been everywhere and is willing to share

mamachong1 01-07-2014 05:39 PM

we spent honeymoon/fishing trip <ha-ha..in belize,,,stayed almost a month,,what GREAT FISHING,,WE HAD THE MOST FUN @south water caye,bones were all over upon landing the boat on arrival,barely got luggage out tryin to grab rods to start casting,,tarpon too!--wifey nailed a 19 pound grey jack all on her own,,,,oooooooh,,,wishin I was fishin~!

chechem 01-10-2014 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamachong1 (Post 628724)
we spent honeymoon/fishing trip <ha-ha..in belize,,,stayed almost a month,,what GREAT FISHING,,WE HAD THE MOST FUN @south water caye,bones were all over upon landing the boat on arrival,barely got luggage out tryin to grab rods to start casting,,tarpon too!--wifey nailed a 19 pound grey jack all on her own,,,,oooooooh,,,wishin I was fishin~!

Yep, South Water Caye is an excellent location.
BTW, a "grey jack" is a Crevalle Jack. Big schools of them chase "sprat" (sardines) around the island, as do Barracuda.

gbanker 02-04-2014 08:26 PM

My wife went diving while I went fishing. Lodge, meals, staff, accommodations, guides all first rate.
My wife thought the diving was very good. I caught all the bonefish I wanted and had many shots at permit and managed to catch one.
Our second time there.

mcnerney 02-04-2014 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbanker (Post 637055)
My wife went diving while I went fishing. Lodge, meals, staff, accommodations, guides all first rate.
My wife thought the diving was very good. I caught all the bonefish I wanted and had many shots at permit and managed to catch one.
Our second time there.

Post some photos of your trip, we would love to see them.

Larry

harken 03-26-2014 07:39 PM

I have been wanting to do this trip for a long time now, would definitely want to see some photos and hear what it was like. also figured I would pass this on since your photos would be perfect for it.

https://www.facebook.com/CheekyFlyFi...380964/?type=1

the company is having a photo competition so you might want to check it out. (not spam just passing it along) have an awesome trip friend.