The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in Mexico > Mexican Caribbean

Mexican Caribbean Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Cancun fly fishing guide

Hi chuckchuck,

It would be helpful to our members if you would post your guide information so we can all benefit.

Frank
Old 05-24-2010, 10:55 PM

ozarkadver is on a distinguished road

Bump please.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:32 PM

bconthefly is on a distinguished road

I was searching the net for my upcoming trip to Playacar and came across this thread and decided to join and add my 2 cents. Hello all!!!

Hi MVFLY, I booked Rodman Hunter a couple years back for a half day on the lagoon. From my experience I thought Cpt. Rodman was very professional and a highly skilled angler. All of his tips and techniques were very helpful and he tried to get me into fish. Though the fishing was quite slow that day, I did get into a baby Tarpon, some mangrove Snapper and a baby Jack. Because our time on the water was slow that day Rodman kept us out for a full day. Regardless of the lack of action I caught the fish I'd aimed for (baby Tarpon) I was more than happy, I also took a couple Snapper back to the hotel and the kitchen cooked the for dinner that night. The wild life and scenery were beautiful and the overall experience was excellent. Clean boat, nice boat, good gear and tackle and a great guide. I brought my own gear as I prefer to fish my stuff. My b Tarpon was caught on a blue/whit popper. I've added a few pics.. Enjoy

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:50 PM

bonefish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to bonefish
Default Tulum Mexico Flyfishing

I am hosting a one month Winter Tropical Flyfishing Expedition starting Dec 15th 2011 till Jan15th 2012, in Tulum Mexico. There are some amazing spots to fish, from beach, points, canals, and kayak flyfishing, very effective trolling as well! In between Tulum and Punta Allen, there are some Primo spots to throw some line...if you know what Mangrove Trail to take!
I do independent guiding in this area when I can, and this next month (Mid Dec to Mid Jan) is my time to get to what's good, some Bones and all the other fish that lurk the tropical waters, following a baitfish or epoxy fly.
I love this area, so let me know if you have any questions regarding transportation, lodging, etc.

So if you don't want to throw down $700/day, but still want to slam some fish, get in touch with me and we will discuss all the details.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:30 AM

I can recommend hitting some areas from Tulum, south to any point you can cast. A good way to do it is just to drive down to Ascension Bay from Cancun, drive to the point, and look to hire local fishermen at a daily basis. That promotes in-house revenue for the locals, and they know whats up..
If you have a car you can access some remote areas on your own. There are 2 sp. of Crocodiles in the waters, Crocodylus moreletii C. acutus, and I have waded to primo flats through them, but would not recommend this. At the time, getting to this amazing area, I did not think about the consequences, just saw amazing Flats out there, and literally just Waded for it....and saw some of the buggers swimming nearby but they did not decide to grab and twist me down.
Renting a Kayak from one of the lodges is always good way to access some nice remote areas...
Basically, Ya just Gotta get down to Tulum, hit the coast and head south...
I do my tours there randomly, so feel free to ask any questions.
I will be hosting tours again Dec 15th to Jan 15th 2012, and would be glad to fish with you!
Hope this is helpful and you will love this area, simply amazing!
Old 11-26-2011, 06:27 PM

I guide flyfishing tours from Tulum into the Sian Ka'an Bioshpere, and will again be doing this from Dec 20th 2011 till Jan 18th, 2012. You can click on my public profile for more info.
I cater more to the budget traveling flyfisherman, who can't shell out $400/day.
Although there are great guides here if you can finance it. But brush up on your Spanish a little bit. And I highly suggest bringing several Crazy Charlie, Clouser, Deceiver and crab and shrimp patterns. Some guides have it all, some you will get shorted on selection, be prepared!
Either way, these fishing grounds hold plenty of species and you are sure to have an amazing time!