The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 06:56 AM

Bob B is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Rods On Airlines

Have a question directed to me by a first timer on my annual Yellowstone trip this year. He's new to fly fishing.

His fly rod is a two piece, so the tube is at least 48 inches long. He was in a fly shop and overheard a conversation indicating that such a case is now considered excess size luggage and can cost him up to $50 to ship.

All my travel rods are now 4 piece so I never had the problem.

Any comments?

Bob B
Old 06-25-2009, 07:45 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Fly Rods On Airlines

I'd call the airline directly and see what they say.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,if I were you I'd lend one of my rods to your friend...that's an easy way to solve the problem.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:35 AM

Bob B is on a distinguished road

Well, I checked.

He's flying NW out of LGA. NW says oversize luggage is that above total dimensions of 62 inches. (L+W+H).

If his rod case is less than 3 inches in diameter and no more than 56 inches long he's home free.

Bob B
Old 06-25-2009, 11:38 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Get it in writing. I had trouble with mine. Also I hear that they don't like line on carry on reels..