The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 07:51 PM

ohtroutman is on a distinguished road
Default New Member

Hello everyone,

I just found this site - it is great!! New to the site but lifelong fly fisherman. I grew up in Gettysburg, PA - grew up fishing the Yellow Breeches, Letort, Hunting Creek... Now I live in Ohio - great for Steelhead but little to no trout fishing :-(

I now fish western PA alot - Neshannock creek, Oil Creek ( a favorite) and try to make it to Penns once a year or so...

In the past, I was fortunate to be able to fish all over - Alaska, New Mexico, Arkansas, Georgia, Northern California, Maine , New Brunswick...

I have had a bit of a hiatus from fly fishing the past couple of years - not sure why.. very stupid of me LOL! Took my neighbor to Neshannock last weekend to introduce him to fly fishing - didn't catch any trout but hooked lots of chubs - and NOW I HAVE THE FEVER BACK!!! Broke out my fly tying equipment and am gearing up for the fall. I like to make a trip to the Oil in October.. I just saw airfare to New Mexcio is around $300.00 round trip - maybe a winter trip to the San Juan!!!

Looking forward to the conversations!

Scott
Old 08-26-2009, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Member

Hey Scott welcome to the forum---- and welcome back to fly fishing. Since you're in Ohio now start flingin' stuff at bass- they're a blast too on a fly rod and it's a great way to spend a summer evening watching them crash stuff on the surface.

Jump right in and make yourself at home here. Looking forward to your posts.

Mark
Old 08-27-2009, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Scott,

Welcome to the forum. You bring up a good point about air travel. It is really cheap right now if you don't have any checked baggage. A good time to make a quick trip to your favorite fishing hole.

I hope you enjoy the good people on this forum.

Frank
Old 08-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

on board!You've already got many fans here for many people love Scott
Old 08-27-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
on board!You've already got many fans here for many people love Scott
Thanks!!

It's really tough when I walk in a fly shop - last name is Powell!!!!
Old 08-27-2009, 08:03 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohtroutman View Post
Thanks!!

It's really tough when I walk in a fly shop - last name is Powell!!!!
Scott: I can only imagine! LOL!
Welcome to the forum, I'm looking forward to your posts. If you get out to the San Juan and it is your first time be sure to hire a guide. The normal fare is 7x tippets and size 24 or 26 flies, but don't let scare you. The fishing is excellent and the fish are HUGE football sized specimens.

Larry
Old 08-27-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Scott: I can only imagine! LOL!
Welcome to the forum, I'm looking forward to your posts. If you get out to the San Juan and it is your first time be sure to hire a guide. The normal fare is 7x tippets and size 24 or 26 flies, but don't let scare you. The fishing is excellent and the fish are HUGE football sized specimens.

Larry
Thanks Larry!

I have had the good fortune of many trips to the San Juan. I used to support a company that worked on the big power plant outside Farmington. First time I went there to work I stayed at the Soaring Eagle Lodge - tough business trip.. :-)

Since that trip I always have stayed at Rizutos.. I remember when we could fish up by the dam - back before 9/11. I had Andy Kim guide me years ago - taught me the secrets - the only part I still struggle with is seeing the flies LOL.. The SJ is where I bought my magnifying lenses I wear on my hat brim!!

I can't wait to see the Abe's Motel sign through the windshield again!
Old 08-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohtroutman View Post
Thanks Larry!

I have had the good fortune of many trips to the San Juan. I used to support a company that worked on the big power plant outside Farmington. First time I went there to work I stayed at the Soaring Eagle Lodge - tough business trip.. :-)

Since that trip I always have stayed at Rizutos.. I remember when we could fish up by the dam - back before 9/11. I had Andy Kim guide me years ago - taught me the secrets - the only part I still struggle with is seeing the flies LOL.. The SJ is where I bought my magnifying lenses I wear on my hat brim!!

I can't wait to see the Abe's Motel sign through the windshield again!
Scott: Dang you have lived a rough existance having to stay at the Soaring Eagle Lodge on a Business Trip! LOL!

I have the same problem, the older I get the harder it is to see how to tie those tiny flies on the tippit. Anyway, I know you will enjoy the trip, be sure to post a trip report and be sure to post some photos if you have a camera. It has been a couple years since I have fished there so seeing some photos of the area would be great.

Larry
Old 08-28-2009, 09:44 AM

It is an amazing river isn't it?

Only place I've ever fished where half of me froze while half of me baked.. LOL
I think I am going to try and make a trip out there this winter - two kids in college this year (that both want to fish the SJ as well) makes it tough, but maybe I'll get to swing it..
Old 08-28-2009, 10:50 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Welcome to the site Scott...Hit those Ohio Smallies; they're a blast!

Dan