The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 08:05 PM

kimba007 will become famous soon enough
Default Maryland fly fishing

Ive just began fly fishing. I live in Cecil County MD. I usually go to the covered bridge park in fair hill but it is stocked with mainly sunfish and a couple trout(hardly any). Dont get me wrong i like any fishing regaurdless size but does anyone else have some reccomendations of coldwater (trout preferably) stocked rivers. Also some stores close by. Thanks alot!!
Old 09-30-2009, 12:38 AM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Maryland fly fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba007 View Post
Ive just began fly fishing. I live in Cecil County MD. I usually go to the covered bridge park in fair hill but it is stocked with mainly sunfish and a couple trout(hardly any). Dont get me wrong i like any fishing regaurdless size but does anyone else have some reccomendations of coldwater (trout preferably) stocked rivers. Also some stores close by. Thanks alot!!
If you are fishing Fair Hill your closet two fly shops are White Clay Outfitters in Newark (take Rt. 273 into Newark, turn left on Chapel Street, go ~1.5 miles, shop is in shopping center on your right), and A Marblehead Flyfisher (Rt. 52 in Centerville, DE).

The best in-state (MD) trout fishing near you is the Gunpowder River below Pretty Boy Reservoir (Falls Road upstream to the dam or slightly downstream).

Mid-October Delware will stock the White Clay Creek with trout. About two weeks later a private club will do the same. An out of state license is ~$22 (check the state's website for actual cost). Best bet for fishing the stocked fish is the dam off Creek Road (north out of Newark, DE), or in the vicinity of the footbridge at the base of Wedgewood Road (off Rt. 896 north out of Newark), or the long pool just above the dam above Wedgewood Road.

Oct. 8th Pennsylvania will stock the delayed harvest regs section (artificial lures, catch & release until next June) of the Middle Branch White Clay Creek. The stocking will extend from the bridge at Sharpless Road upstream to the bridge at Good Hope Road. That river section is about 3 miles north of Newark, DE via Rt. 896. Both roads mentioned head east from Rt. 896, as does London Tract which is the third (middle) bridge across the stocked section.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:16 PM

natermotor is on a distinguished road

Stevie......
Old 10-05-2009, 07:31 PM

kimba007 will become famous soon enough

hey nate...