The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 05:13 PM

dmort is on a distinguished road
Default First Time Trip to Shenandoah

Hey All,

My wife and I are going to Shenandoah for 3 nights in May (before memorial day) and I want to make sure we are properly outfitted.

We've both fished in the Catskills a bunch, using 9 foot rods of varying weights.

I know that the fishing in the park is more mountain stream style, and I'm wondering a shorter length rod (like a 7'6" 4wt) would be more appropriate than a 9ft 4wt. Will the 9ft be too long? Are there a lot of over hanging brush and downed trees?

Also, if people have recommendations for flies, I'm open! I was going to stick with nymphs and small drys, maybe some small terrestrials.

We are staying at the Big Meadows Campground and since we'll have two full days, I was thinking the Whiteoak Canyon Run would make a nice day, as well as the Rose. Those two spots are fairly close to the Big Meadows campground. Are there other good suggestions?

Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 05-02-2010, 05:41 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: First Time Trip to Shenandoah

a 7'6" 3wt would be ideal. Have a great trip

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:54 PM

ok dokey. I will get a lighter rod! Any suggestions? I was thinking about the Cabelas TQR rod, seems like the right price, for a decent quality piece of equipment. Being a new englander, I'm also partial to LL Bean rods, but they only really have the lower end quest series available now in those sort of light weights. Other suggestions for something that is under $200? I already have a Lamson Radius reel that I'll pair with this rod.

Also, another question, while I'm going to bring my waders (because why not?) do I really need them? It seems like these streams are pretty small, judging from photos, I won't need to climb into the water... Is that perception correct?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:58 AM

ab4usa is on a distinguished road

I have a St Croix Imperial that I really like and it's under $200.00.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:38 AM

drumstix61 is on a distinguished road

Any Park Stream is good,some are better.
I think you will enjoy your trip no matter which Stream you choose to fish.
If you contact the Park,they can send you a list of Streams open to harvest.

I began using an 8'6" in the beginning,(a 6 weight mind you.),then after catching enough overgrowth/canopy/bushes on backcast's,

I got a 7', 3 weight G.Loomis Streamdance Metolious.
Loved the rod,its the only +$300 dollar one I own,
but for one Xmas my Father in law,who is a big bass fisher bought me a 6'9" Bass Pro Shop 4 weight.
I had seen the Light.

I immediately got a 6'3" Bass Pro 3 weight and never looked back.
Great Rod with a high Modulus at a great price.

Then I finally ended up getting a Lamiglass 6'6" Appalachian Trail 3 weight when our local fly shop went under.

There are only a few places here where you will have more than 30 feet of Line out.

By the time you guys arrive it should be okay for "wetwading".

Any Flies should do just fine,I always run a "Dry/Nymph" combo,to cover the water column.Guess I should run an Emerger between the Dry and Dropper?.

Here's a Hatch Chart if you want;
virginia fly fishing: fly fishing virginia and fly fishing guides. Fishing in Virginia for Virginia trout and smallmouth bass in the Shenandoah Valley and the Shenandoah National Park

Good luck,I know you will enjoy,Stix.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:21 AM

Thanks for the advice, the wife and I each bought an Albright 7'6" 4/5 weight. I have mine loaded with 4wt DT. At 50 bucks it is hard to go wrong!