The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2011, 12:42 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mud Run

Well, I got back to the Poconos again last week; for some business meetings and, of course, some fishing.

A lot of you may have heard about the flooding conditions that exist in most of Northeastern PA, with rivers like the Susquehanna at +42 feet above normal high water, etc. Almost biblical! The perfect conditions for blown-out streams and fish that are few and far between. I went to my local shop and they said: "don't even bother going out; tie up some flies for when the water clears." That's fine, but I didn't have time to wait; I only had 3 days.

Long ago someone told me: when there's too much water, fish the headwaters, when it's a drought, fish the tailwaters. Makes sense; when it rains the headwaters are always the first to clear and during a drought it's the tailwaters that loose their water last.

So, off to my favorite headwater freestone stream; Mud Run. Only about a 500 ft. drop from the top of the water shed to where I planned to be fishing.

When I got there the water was only about +2 ft. above normal with flows that were 2x Spring run-off, but still very fishable. Here are a couple of pics of the stream:

Click the image to open in full size.

Not so bad - and the pools looked like what you'd expect in September:

Now, about a year and a half ago, there was a thread on bamboo fly rods. I was intrigued by it, but didn't go out and try to source a rod. Well, when I faced the fact that I was leaving the Poconos, I decided to get one. I had it built by one of the local guides; a person named Ben Turpin. He builds about 6 rods a year. I received the rod in April, the season opened April 15th, it rained for two weeks solid and I moved to Maine on May 1st. So, not a lot of time to try out the new rod this Spring.

But, last week was right for it. So, I packed it in the car, along with a Bellinger reel and headed out to fish. I've fished graphite for a long time now, and it did take me some time to revise my casting stroke to fit this cane rod. But when I got it down, I can't tell you what a sweet rod this is. It's an 8'0' rod with a Dickerson 13 taper. Pretty stiff for bamboo and just a pleasure for me to cast. Feedback galore and great accuracy. Here's a pic of the rod/reel:

And here are some fish. I got, more or less, equal numbers of Browns, Brookies and Rainbows on all 3 days; not huge fish by any means, but a lot of fun to catch; particularly on this rod. A couple of pics:

And here was my favorite. Have you ever had that fish that you wanted to catch? Well, mine was a male Brookie in full spawning colors. And here he is!

Lousy pic, but what are you going to do when you're trying to hold a thrashing fish in a net partially submerged with one hand and take a pic with the other............ He was about 17" long; not too bad for an Eastern Brookie.

Anyway, I had an absolute ball. Will be back for one last hurrah in mid-October. Can't wait - it's been a lean fishing year for me.

Pocono
Old 09-16-2011, 12:52 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mud Run

What beautiful fish and a great story. Thanks for posting.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:04 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see you out and about the creeks again Allen and the rod is beautiful.

Dave
Old 09-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Allan!glad to see you could go back to the place you love so much for a whileand manage to fish... beautiful rod you got.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:44 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Easy to see why it's your favorite. Pretty spot plus nice fish.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:24 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
Easy to see why it's your favorite. Pretty spot plus nice fish.
Like your new quote...lol Here is another

I don't always fish but when I do, I fly fish.

Dave
Old 09-16-2011, 07:31 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Beautiful rod, fish and water. You'll get attached to that rod. Guaranteed!
Old 09-16-2011, 07:38 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

beautiful water and beautiful fish!
rod's not to shabby either
thanks for sharing,

casey

ARFE
Old 09-16-2011, 09:00 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Nice waters, nice rod, and nice fish! I like how because of the blur, the eye on the brookie looks almost cartoonish, it makes me chuckle Anyway, even with the blur, thats a pretty fish!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-18-2011, 05:54 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Beautiful rod, fish and water. You'll get attached to that rod. Guaranteed!
Yup, you're right about the rod.

I've been fishing graphite for the past 4 years; pretty much on a continuous basis, with the exception of some glass rods, and I've gotten so that I like the feel and action of a fast blank.

When I asked Ben to build the rod, I told him about my preference for the action of graphite and he said: "then you might like the Dickerson 13 taper, it's the fastest action bamboo rod that I build." So, we agreed to go that way - and I am very glad that we did.

I took both the new cane rod and my regular "go to" 9'0" Sage Z-Axis 5 wt. with me to go fishing on the 3 days that I had. On the first day, I fished the morning with the cane rod and the beginning of the afternoon with the Z-Axis. About mid-afternoon, I switched back to the cane rod and for the next two days the Z-Axis stayed in the trunk of my car. That's never happened before.

The bamboo rod is just a pleasure to cast. It's has a smooth, progressive action, has lots of feel and feedback and feels absolutely fabulous when you've got a fish on. I put a DT5 line on the reel and the combination was just about perfect.

Casting-wise, it's sort of "life in the slow lane", but the sense of being able to put the fly, easily, where you want it almost every time, and having it feel like an extension of my arm; as opposed to something that I'm holding in my hand, kept me smiling.

I used to think that bamboo rods were simply rooted in the tradition of the sport and had been supplanted first by fiberglass and now graphite; now I know that there's a lot more to it than that. And I'm glad that I found that out.

Pocono