The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Mid-Atlantic Area (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/mid-atlantic-area/)
-   -   Elk river West Virginia (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/mid-atlantic-area/19173-elk-river-west-virginia.html)

jcw355 06-24-2010 07:19 AM

Elk river West Virginia

We had a great time fishing yesterday catching, losing and missing many fish. It was my nephews first time to fly fish so I hired a guide for the day. Dave Breitmeier is his name and Elk Springs resort is the place. I didn't take many fish pictures but we did get a couple of nicer fish and lost a couple nice ones. This is a very nice river and the rise in the evenings can be really amazing. We experienced a taste of that around dusk. Check it out if you get the chance and drop in the fly shop for the latest fishing info.

---------- Post added at 05:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 AM ----------

We were using size 20 and smaller flies for most of the day. Size 32 spinner at dusk. I don't use flies that small where I normally fish so I had a couple of break offs with that size 8 tippet. I usually use sizes 4,5, and 6 tippet and kept forgetting I had on light tippet.

cattech89 06-28-2010 09:20 PM

Re: Elk river West Virginia

Hey Okiemountaineer, Great post. Glad to hear you had a good time! :D

jcw355 06-29-2010 08:34 AM

We caught close to 60 fish. The guide knew there was a big brown that hung out in a certain spot so Josh was the one who got the shot at her. He missed, it was a 22" brown they have named Gertrude. I did get a nice looking 14" brown above them and a few rainbows in that area. I lost a nice rainbow later that day by not letting her run and Josh lost a nice rainbow after playing her awhile. He did get an 18" bow later the guide said so Josh got the big fish of the day.

cattech89 06-29-2010 09:13 AM

Wow! Thats awesome! :thumbsup:

wvfishn 06-30-2010 10:16 PM

I'm planning on hitting the Elk and Cranberry this fall. I might be PMing you and Cattech about some hotspots, or maybe we all can meet up and show me personally.

jcw355 07-01-2010 07:17 AM

Weather permitting I'll fish the Elk when I come back the week of Thanksgiving. The fly shop is a must visit so you can get the right flies and latest info. I just wish Oklahoma had a river like this but am happy just to have a place to trout fish even if its not as nice as West Virginias trout fishing.

jcw355 11-20-2010 10:28 PM

Fished the Elk today with my son in law. We caught 30 -35 fish today, nice fish with a few big ones. Most were in the 13-15" slot with one 19", a 17" and a couple of 16" in the mix. Only caught 2 small browns today. Good day to fish.

304rodco 01-11-2011 10:23 PM

You are dedicated. The weather up there has not been pretty.

jcw355 01-12-2011 06:33 AM

I doubt I would be there fishing now even if I lived back in WV. I got lucky and the weather cooperated when I was there for thanksgiving. I wish I had a river like that here in Oklahoma.

304rodco 01-12-2011 07:52 PM

Gotcha. Feet of snow and temps in the teens doesn't sound like a lot of fun.