The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2007, 08:32 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Savage river

You are correct with the hopper/ant/beetle combo. The hoppers in small sizes like #14 or a #16. There has also been some midges coming off as well, the Savage River Outfitters were recommending having small ones #20 & #22 in an olive color. Pheasnat Tail and Gold-Ribbed Hare's Ear nymphs in #14 and smaller should work as well. They also said to try an Adams in a real small size, like a #20 or smaller.
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 08-16-2007, 11:24 PM

Fishplease is on a distinguished road

Bad news. My mom never made reservations, so that trip is cancelled.
So instead, I'll be going to Rocky Gap lodge. Maybe there will be a good stream nearby.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:56 AM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Fishplease, to fish around western Maryland now you will need a guide (If you are from out of town). There are three major rivers that are tailwaters that can still be fished but to come in blind would be hard and be successful. Try calling either Savage River Outfitters at 301-359-8010 or the cell at 703-517-1040 or Spring Creek Outfitters at 301-387-6587. Either one should be able to help you. I don't know their rates but they have websites and can get additional information from there. Great fishing!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 08-19-2007, 07:16 PM

alanthealan is on a distinguished road

Allegheny Expeditions works with Rock Gap and can guide you. Google them and call em.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:45 AM

monkeyhouserodge is on a distinguished road

by the way, I stopped by the Savage on Tuesday(It's actually on my way home from work), my first time and yep, that water is freezing, but once you consider the source, I can understand why. I used a spinner and caught three Trout, one Raindbow and two Brown, very n ice place to fish!
Old 07-18-2008, 08:17 PM

hiddencreek is on a distinguished road

Any ideas on a Cicada/locust hatch this year...
Old 07-18-2008, 08:28 PM

You may want to stop by or call the Orvis FLy Shop along the river and ask them. I don't know!
Old 07-19-2008, 05:06 PM

RyanSheehan is on a distinguished road

I heard the cicadas were a no show in Western Md. Anybody have any info, I'm headed up that way in two weeks
Old 07-20-2008, 01:19 AM

monkeyhouserodge is on a distinguished road

they're a little confused, but they are out, I have heard them every night as I am leaving the water.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:54 PM

hiddencreek is on a distinguished road

Now that duck season is over and only a few weeks left of goose season...how is the fishing on the Savage? I know the area is covered in ice/snow(I am not good at ice fishing!!)...but that makes it more interesting!!!