The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2009, 07:09 PM

hiddencreek is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Savage river

As anybody fished here in the last week?...water level looks o.k...weather in the morning looks decent ...or should I scout for the spring turkey season?
Old 03-16-2009, 09:25 AM

Quagmark is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm Mark and this is my first post to this forum. I plan on going to the Savage around the middle of April and would like some help on fly selection. What patterns and sizes will be good for me to bring along.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Mark
Old 03-17-2009, 04:45 AM

monkeyhouserodge is on a distinguished road

Guys. I really envy all of you. I live not too far from the Savage River and have fished there before. It's a beautiful place and I have even managed to catch a few browns and rainbow there, but unfortunately I have not figured out the difficult task of flyfishing. I do have a nice rod and reel that was given to me last year and I hope to figure it out this summer, but it is definitely a difficult task. My question is this though, how do you figure out which fly to use? I did find a very cool website(although it hasn't been updated this year) that has some fly info, but frankly, I don't understand how to read it. I don't even know what a hatch is? Maybe this will help you: Fishing Reports
Either way, good luck to you all and if you get the chance, definitely hit the Savage, just remember, that water is COLD! Also, not too far from there is the Cassleman River which has lots of Trout as well. I went there a good bit last summer and although I never caught one trout, they were always close by. I saw schools of 10 or more and they hung with me most of the day, just sitting there in the water laughing at me. No joke, really, i could have reached down and grabbed them.

Rodge
Old 03-17-2009, 08:17 AM

Cleetus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhouserodge View Post
My question is this though, how do you figure out which fly to use? I did find a very cool website(although it hasn't been updated this year) that has some fly info, but frankly, I don't understand how to read it. I don't even know what a hatch is? Maybe this will help you: Fishing Reports
Rodge
couple thoughts that may help you. First of all a hatch is, generally speaking, when a crapload of one kind of insect all come out of the water at once. I'd consider getting a book on fly fishing basics. Most have whole sections on entomology. Orvis or LL Bean both publish good books.

When a hatch occurs, the fish tend to want to eat that insect so your job becomes finding what that insect is, what stage of development their eating, and what size and color they seem to like.

It sounds like a lot, but as you develop and grow a fly collection it becomes easier. Here's my own system I've developed based on...well...nothing. I walk along the river's edge and shakes the bushes and see what comes out. I catch anything that tries to fly away in my hat and look at it. I also turn over big flat rocks in the river and see what's underneath. It's really a lot of trial and error.

Also, your local fly shop should know about good seasonal and prospecting patterns to begin with.

First thing first is learn about the life cycle of the couple insects that populate the local streams around here and talk with shops, fishermen and here on the forums. Someone with more info than I have is likely going to be able to help.

Good luck!

ps: the chart on that webpage basically shows the size and name of the fly pattern's that match average hatches for each 3 month group. For instance on Casselman you want to try a size 16-18 Balck stonefly pattern in Jan, Feb, and March.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:38 PM

Thanks Cleetus, I really appreciate it!

Rodge
Old 03-17-2009, 11:49 PM

RyanSheehan is on a distinguished road

Rodge,
A couple quick things about the lower savage. The first is that presentation is so much more important than fly selection on this river. The currents are so quick and complex that the fish only have a split second to make the decision to eat or not. Usually good drifts equal fish. The most common mistake on the savage is long casts. 20 to 25 foot casts are perfect and then the drift must be drag free. Attempt to keep your fly line out of the water and your leader in the water to help make this easier(also known as high sticking). People usually only do this nymphing but it works great for dries on the savage. The guys at the Savage River Outfitters can point you in the right direction as to insects but there are so many different hatches that you can throw so many different patterns and be successful. Fish what you are confident in. If you are new to fly fishing fish the casselman, it is a much kinder river. The casselman is PERFECT river to learn to fish on. Once you are feeling confident try the Savage but the savage can humble the most experienced fly fisherman so be patient it will come.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanSheehan View Post
Rodge,
A couple quick things about the lower savage. The first is that presentation is so much more important than fly selection on this river. The currents are so quick and complex that the fish only have a split second to make the decision to eat or not. Usually good drifts equal fish. The most common mistake on the savage is long casts. 20 to 25 foot casts are perfect and then the drift must be drag free. Attempt to keep your fly line out of the water and your leader in the water to help make this easier(also known as high sticking). People usually only do this nymphing but it works great for dries on the savage. The guys at the Savage River Outfitters can point you in the right direction as to insects but there are so many different hatches that you can throw so many different patterns and be successful. Fish what you are confident in. If you are new to fly fishing fish the casselman, it is a much kinder river. The casselman is PERFECT river to learn to fish on. Once you are feeling confident try the Savage but the savage can humble the most experienced fly fisherman so be patient it will come.
Thanks Ryan. I do love the Casselman. As a matter of fact, I'd say that Town Creek and Casselman are my two favorite spots to fish in this area. Again, thanks for the advice!
Old 03-19-2009, 05:51 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

You are right about the Savage. I'm fortunate to live about 25 minutes from the Savage and I love it! The Casselman is a great river to learn to flyfish. The riverbottom is much kinder to you, unless you're really good at walking on greased canon balls! On the Savage you need to do a lot of creative casting with lots of line to avoid the drag of crazy currents! But once you get one on, it is exciting fishing!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 03-19-2009, 06:33 PM

yes, I tend to do alot more bank fishing at the Savage, but the currents are much kinder at Casselman, so I pretty much walk the water the entire way.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:03 AM

Chillmark is on a distinguished road

Doesn't the Savage run all the way through Howard County and Laurel? Is it fishable down that far? I live in Baltimore and I'm always looking for good places to fish in addition to the Gun that aren't too far. If I have a couple hours of light after work I can't get all the way out to western MD, and the Gun us usually packed.

Any thoughts?