The North American Fly Fishing Forum


Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 03-20-2009, 07:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 10
monkeyhouserodge is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Savage river

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillmark View Post
Doesn't the Savage run all the way through Howard County and Laurel? Is it fishable down that far? I live in Baltimore and I'm always looking for good places to fish in addition to the Gun that aren't too far. If I have a couple hours of light after work I can't get all the way out to western MD, and the Gun us usually packed.

Any thoughts?
Nah, the savage dumps into the potomac right around luke mill, so say right before westernport, md which is pretty far west for you my friend.
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 03-21-2009, 07:01 AM
hiddencreek's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 16
hiddencreek is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Savage river

The Savage River only runs in Garrett County, MD. It flows from the northern part of the county all the way to the southern...flowing into the Potomac River at Bloomington/Luke, MD.
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 03-21-2009, 10:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 11
RyanSheehan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Savage river

its worth the drive!
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 03-23-2009, 07:43 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2
Quagmark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Savage river

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillmark View Post
Doesn't the Savage run all the way through Howard County and Laurel? Is it fishable down that far? I live in Baltimore and I'm always looking for good places to fish in addition to the Gun that aren't too far. If I have a couple hours of light after work I can't get all the way out to western MD, and the Gun us usually packed.

Any thoughts?
You're thinking of Savage, MD, which is the Middle Patuxent River. There is good fishing around there. There are some delayed harvest and catch and release areas that get stocked with some nice browns. Another good place to fish around B-more is the Patapsco River at Daniels. The Patapsco at Avalon will be opening this weekend and will be crowded, after this weekend though that is a good place to go for an after work session, usually not too much traffic and a good stretch of water.

Tight lines,
Mark
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 03-23-2009, 07:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 10
monkeyhouserodge is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Savage river

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillmark View Post
Doesn't the Savage run all the way through Howard County and Laurel? Is it fishable down that far? I live in Baltimore and I'm always looking for good places to fish in addition to the Gun that aren't too far. If I have a couple hours of light after work I can't get all the way out to western MD, and the Gun us usually packed.

Any thoughts?
Just out of curiosity, didn't I read recently on the MD DNS Fisheries website that there is some sort of a algae problem on the Gun?
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 03-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 21
Chillmark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Savage river

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmark View Post
You're thinking of Savage, MD, which is the Middle Patuxent River. There is good fishing around there. There are some delayed harvest and catch and release areas that get stocked with some nice browns. Another good place to fish around B-more is the Patapsco River at Daniels. The Patapsco at Avalon will be opening this weekend and will be crowded, after this weekend though that is a good place to go for an after work session, usually not too much traffic and a good stretch of water.

Tight lines,
Mark
that IS what I was thinking of, thanks! I'll have to check it out
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 03-23-2009, 11:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 11
RyanSheehan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Savage river

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhouserodge View Post
Just out of curiosity, didn't I read recently on the MD DNS Fisheries website that there is some sort of a algae problem on the Gun?
Didymo, its an invasive algae. Too early to know the effects but its tough to nymph at times. Hopefully it wont spread but that seems unlikely.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hi fishin'bear Member Introductions 9 08-29-2007 11:59 PM
Hawaii Tukes on the Fly Stan Wright Pacific Ocean 1 06-25-2006 08:47 AM
orvis float shooting head. ffffg Other Gear 2 03-01-2006 01:16 PM
Vallecito Lake Roughrider Rocky Mountain Range 0 08-03-2005 04:59 PM
Just saying hello Andy G. General Discussion 1 06-28-2005 08:47 PM













All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.