The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 07:13 AM

monkeyhouserodge is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Savage river

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillmark View Post
Doesn't the Savage run all the way through Howard County and Laurel? Is it fishable down that far? I live in Baltimore and I'm always looking for good places to fish in addition to the Gun that aren't too far. If I have a couple hours of light after work I can't get all the way out to western MD, and the Gun us usually packed.

Any thoughts?
Nah, the savage dumps into the potomac right around luke mill, so say right before westernport, md which is pretty far west for you my friend.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:01 AM

hiddencreek is on a distinguished road

The Savage River only runs in Garrett County, MD. It flows from the northern part of the county all the way to the southern...flowing into the Potomac River at Bloomington/Luke, MD.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:08 PM

RyanSheehan is on a distinguished road

its worth the drive!
Old 03-23-2009, 07:43 AM

Quagmark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Doesn't the Savage run all the way through Howard County and Laurel? Is it fishable down that far? I live in Baltimore and I'm always looking for good places to fish in addition to the Gun that aren't too far. If I have a couple hours of light after work I can't get all the way out to western MD, and the Gun us usually packed.

Any thoughts?
You're thinking of Savage, MD, which is the Middle Patuxent River. There is good fishing around there. There are some delayed harvest and catch and release areas that get stocked with some nice browns. Another good place to fish around B-more is the Patapsco River at Daniels. The Patapsco at Avalon will be opening this weekend and will be crowded, after this weekend though that is a good place to go for an after work session, usually not too much traffic and a good stretch of water.

Tight lines,
Mark
Old 03-23-2009, 07:51 AM

monkeyhouserodge is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Any thoughts?
Just out of curiosity, didn't I read recently on the MD DNS Fisheries website that there is some sort of a algae problem on the Gun?
Old 03-23-2009, 01:29 PM

Chillmark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmark View Post
You're thinking of Savage, MD, which is the Middle Patuxent River. There is good fishing around there. There are some delayed harvest and catch and release areas that get stocked with some nice browns. Another good place to fish around B-more is the Patapsco River at Daniels. The Patapsco at Avalon will be opening this weekend and will be crowded, after this weekend though that is a good place to go for an after work session, usually not too much traffic and a good stretch of water.

Tight lines,
Mark
that IS what I was thinking of, thanks! I'll have to check it out
Old 03-23-2009, 11:02 PM

RyanSheehan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhouserodge View Post
Just out of curiosity, didn't I read recently on the MD DNS Fisheries website that there is some sort of a algae problem on the Gun?
Didymo, its an invasive algae. Too early to know the effects but its tough to nymph at times. Hopefully it wont spread but that seems unlikely.