The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2007, 12:14 PM

Fishplease is on a distinguished road
Default Savage river

I will be planning a trip to the savage river lodge sometime this summer, as long as the lodge has open spaces. I will go with a guide, but I just wanted to ask if anyone here has ever fished the savage river or been to this lodge before.

I know it has sulphur hatches, but are 16 and 18 good sizes?
Old 06-28-2007, 07:57 PM

2bonthewater is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Savage river

I fished this stream quite often while attending Garrett Community College.....the fish are very selective.........It has been years since I have fished this stream, but I will say where it empties into the N. Br. of the Potomac is also some good fishing.......locate Barnum WV, this is where the N. Branch has some really good fishing............( north or west ???)

A good guide service is Spring Creek Outfitters.........they were based in McHenry, but I think they might be Located in Oakland, MD.........ask for alan or harold.........nice guys......and they will put you on the fish....I think their website is springcreekoutfitter.com ( springcreekoutfitters.com )

the water is slick and fast.........wading is slippery..........don't be surprised if you hook into a honker escapee rainbow!!!! the brook trout are pretty, but there are more browns than brooks........either way...........lots of fun...good luck to you..........

2bonthewater
Old 07-03-2007, 09:58 AM

mikehn is on a distinguished road

If you're going with a guide, they should be able to tell you everything you need to know. One thing about the Savage is, the substrate is very rocky and dangerously slippery. Make sure you have studded felt shoes and a wading staff would make your trip much more enjoyable.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:01 PM

Well I prefer to wade in shorts, so I plan to buy felt sole wading shoes.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:34 AM

mikehn is on a distinguished road

The water on the savage can be icy cold, even in the summer. Bring along a pair of waders, just in case. If you can, get the felt soles with the studs in them. Not trying to sound dramatic here, but the savage is definitely not like your average trout stream. Wouldn't want you to go all the way out there and not be prepared. Well, anyways, you'll find out soon enough. That's just my 2 cents.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:07 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Since I've been unemployed, I've been to the Savage River quite a bit this summer. It's 30 minutes from my house! Yes, the lodge is beautiful but a bit pricey! They now have a guide service right there at the lodge now too. They have a website so you can check out the prices. Lately, I've taken quite a few fish on #16 Adams and Lt. Cahills in #18's and 14's. A #14 PMD lawson took a few fish one day recently. There is still a sulphur hatch on and this past Friday evening the Lt. Cahill's did the job! Yes, the water is cold as it is fed from the bottom of the Savage River Reservoir. And yes, it is slippery so wear waders with felt bottoms and bring a wading staff, that is an absolute must! The river is full of brookies and browns and yes, a few escapees from the reservoir of rainbows. Caught a 15" rainbow a few weks ago. There is also an Orvis Fly Shop on the river now too. They've been open about a year now. I stopped in the other day and met one of the owners and he was real nice. They also have guide services and they also have a website. They are called Savage River Outfitters and their web is Savage River Outfitters. The fish are smart but what a reward to catch! If you have any other questions, let me know!
Old 08-06-2007, 05:35 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Fishplease, did you ever make it to the Savage River yet? Any report?
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 08-11-2007, 12:06 AM

Not yet, I go the week before school starts up. Which I think is the 27th. So I'll probably be going the 20-3
Old 08-11-2007, 02:31 PM

Have a great time! The guides that the Lodge uses will know what's working then. In fact, you can go to Savage River Outfitters website and they will let you know what is working around the area. Also, there is a link on their website that will let you know what either the Youghiegany or Savage River or North Branch water releases will be. They do that sometimes for whitewater enthusiasts and to take the water levels down from the dams. Make sure you don't plan your trip around those dates, if there will be any. If you have any questions about the area, write me here on the forum.
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 08-11-2007, 06:18 PM

Well I hear from everyone now is the hopper/beetle/ant time of year, and it is. I went out to patapsco today for smallmouths, caught 15 on a green hopper.
We even found a small clear mayfly in a spider's web, around a size 16.