The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 10:26 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Brunner Island

Made my annual excursion to Brunner Island power plant on the Susky near York Pa. Smallmouths were the target but were not to be had . Instead we had non stop action with channel cats . Nothing big but loads of fish. Buggers and beadheads were the hot flies and those little cats put on a show. I think they were having an identity crisis cause the were jumping like smallies when hooked.
The river was warm and clear as gin and the air temp was comfortable. Those little cats made the long drive worthwhile!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-18-2012, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Brunner Island

The Susquehanna is a beauty, although I always admired the river from the junction all the way to Harrisburg I only fished the West Branch. Fond memories they are Boz........

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-20-2012, 10:59 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Ard i can understand your feelings . I've only begun enjoying this river for the past 20 years and it's been good to me from Binghamton to York. Growing up on it must have been great. I know I have places like that and the memories are the best. Try to revisit when I can.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah, memories, some good, some not so good. You see when I was a kid I can remember the National Guard unloading trains full of lime at all the bridges near where we lived. There had been a massive fish kill from mine acid. I mean everything dead! The river covered with a blanket of floating fish for miles. Yes it got pretty smelly as the time passed. Anyway the trains of lime were a stop gap measure to try to save something by attempting to neutralize the river.

For many years there were only some Bullhead Catfish in it, nothing else could live there. That was when I was about 5 or 6 years old, or 1959 - 1960. As time rolled on the fish began to return. By 1971 I remember seeing my first pike down in the Sylvan Dell area of the river. By 1981 there were small mouth and many other species in good numbers. By 2001 it was a fantastic place to fish, a regular smörgåsbord of fly fishing.

It was something to see..................

Old 02-21-2012, 09:45 PM

Wow ! Never knew about that part of the rivers history. It's good to see that the turn around was so successful. Alot of us don't appreciate what we have and that's a shame . There is so much beauty all around us and sometimes it needs some help.
In my lifetime I've been lucky to witness some great turnarounds. I remember the Tocks Islabd Dam project and all I could think was the end of the Delaware River. Thank God more than on state had a say in that one.
After seeing hundreds of stripers laying to rot at Montauk from drift nets I thought the fishery may never come back .But the nets were banned and the fishery has come back better than ever.
I remember the oil slicks on the Hudson River and the fish most commonly caught were Coney Island Whitefish(prophylactics). Now the river not only has great bass fishing but also the best Striper run anywhere not to mention fabulous shad run .
The list includes Long island Sound , Moriches Bay Lake Ontario and it's tribs and many more . I'm glad I've been around to see them recover.
Now I have to new disasters that I hope I can see recover in my lifetime the Connetquot River on Long Island where whirling disease has virtually destroyed the fishery and a fantastic multispecies lake near my house Lake Stillwater which was drained to the ground for a dam that wasn't needed . A fine wild fishery now a dead sea.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:44 AM
Administrator

I understand your feelings. It has been almost a decade since I left Pennsylvania, I will be coming down this spring for a visit. While there my camera will be busy

Old 02-22-2012, 05:49 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

where ya going to be in pa ard..maybe we can meet up..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..