The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2007, 06:56 AM

flyfishingpastor is on a distinguished road
Anyone live near/fish W.Va's Elk River?

I'm from W.Va. though I live in Indiana now. I have fished the Elk River/Slaty's Fork steams a time or two and enjoyed it. I'm just curious how it's fishing this year. Not looking for 'secret spots' just trying to keep in touch with the river. Thanks.

FFP
Old 11-01-2007, 01:09 PM

troutminister is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone live near/fish W.Va's Elk River?

hey man i know the stuggle of being a transplanted west virginian, i fish more north on the cheat and shavers fork, was up there in august and low water levels were really killing most of the fishing espescially small streams. We caught alot of fish just had to fish hard for them, wish I could help you more
Old 11-01-2007, 07:36 PM

Troutminister;

No problem - thanks for thinking of me! Water has been VERY low but indications are they are getting some decent rain - finally. Thanks anyway.

FFP
"...let me introduce an idea-just something to kick around: Maybe your stature as a fly fisherman isn't determined by how big a trout you can catch, but by how small a trout you can catch without being disappointed, and, of course, without losing the faith that there's a bigger one in there. " -John Gierach, from Fly Fishing Small Streams by Stackpole Books.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:57 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

I was on the Elk the Sunday before Thanksgiving and the river looked good. I started about noon and didn't have much success but met some people that had been doing well earlier that morning. That was my first visit in a couple years but everything I've seen online suggests the river is doing well.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:00 AM

dshort;

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping they've received enough rain that they were back to normal flows? I was ALMOST there the week of Thanksgiving but several people told me the water levels were so low that the system was really stressed so I went to Western Md. instead.

Thanks again for the info.

FFP
"...let me introduce an idea-just something to kick around: Maybe your stature as a fly fisherman isn't determined by how big a trout you can catch, but by how small a trout you can catch without being disappointed, and, of course, without losing the faith that there's a bigger one in there. " -John Gierach, from Fly Fishing Small Streams by Stackpole Books.