The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2007, 07:36 AM

flyfishingpastor is on a distinguished road
Default South Western/South Central Pennsylvania Fly Fishing

Hi!

I'm fairly new to this board and was wondering about northern W.Va./Southern Pa. fly fishing. I will be visiting family in northern W.Va. the week of Thanksgiving this year, and, if the weather cooperates just a little, I'd like to get in a day's fishing early in the week (Monday or Tuesday). Are there any accessible Pa. trout streams within a 2-3 hour drive of northern W.Va.? Any fly shops you'd recommend I contact?

Thanks, in advance, for any info.

FFP
"...let me introduce an idea-just something to kick around: Maybe your stature as a fly fisherman isn't determined by how big a trout you can catch, but by how small a trout you can catch without being disappointed, and, of course, without losing the faith that there's a bigger one in there. " -John Gierach, from Fly Fishing Small Streams by Stackpole Books.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: South Western/South Central Pennsylvania Fly Fishing

Hi FFP,

I have not fished in that area but here is a link to the WV DNR. It seems to have a lot of information. If you look at the stocking schedule they list the creeks by counties. Figure out what counties are near you and then look for a creek.

Frank
Old 10-01-2007, 11:37 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I've been out of the area for some time but I used to like to fish some of the Limestone streams in the area . You have the Yellow Breeches & Fallings springs Creek In the Carsile / Mechanicsburg area. along with a bunch of others. If you go Limestone it's long leaders, fine tippets & large fish..
Old 10-01-2007, 08:30 PM

Frank/Fishn50;

Thanks. All good advice!

FFP
"...let me introduce an idea-just something to kick around: Maybe your stature as a fly fisherman isn't determined by how big a trout you can catch, but by how small a trout you can catch without being disappointed, and, of course, without losing the faith that there's a bigger one in there. " -John Gierach, from Fly Fishing Small Streams by Stackpole Books.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:01 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

I did my seminary studies in Latrobe, PA. There's some catch and release trout fishing in nearby Ligonier, PA on Loyalhanna Creek. A fairly tight stream, but access/wadeability is easy along a little city park.

Very picturesque little stream that runs through a beautiful gorge all the way through to Latrobe. Mill Creek joins it at Ligonier and also has trout.

Ligonier's a neat little town, very historic (complete with an old British fort you can walk through), and has a couple of flyshops, including an orvis dealer. It's worth a trip in itself.

I never fished it, but the Youghigeny river (sp?) has an excellent reputation, though I'm not sure about access. It would be closer to you.

Here's a helpful link Fly fishing Pennsylvania Rivers and Streams
Old 10-03-2007, 07:23 AM

Flyfisher;

Thanks for the link - I'll check it out.

FFP
Old 10-12-2007, 01:17 PM

oogie is on a distinguished road

Hi FFP-

If you are going to be in Western WV, you might want to consider looking a little closer to your home base rather than heading up to PA (but that is always a fine idea as well). Consider the Savage, North Branch of the Potomac, and the Youghegheny. Here are some links to get you started:

Fresh Water Fishing Report - Maryland Department of Natural Resources
Youghiogheny
Savage River Outfitters
Eastern Trophies Fly Fishing (Maryland and Virginia Guide Services)
North Branch Potomac River and Savage River Releases
Old 10-12-2007, 02:32 PM

Oogie;

I'll check 'em out. Thanks!

FFP
Old 10-20-2007, 07:12 PM

slatedrake is on a distinguished road

The Yellow Breaches and Letort Spring Run in Carlisle are excellent. I always wanted to try the Youghiogheny because of it's great reputation.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:51 PM

Slatedrake;

Thank you. I hope to do that!

FFP