The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2007, 07:24 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about
Default Fishing the Savage

Hi Everyone, Haven't posted in a while. I do a lot of hunting in the fall and it's tough to get to the river. I miss the tug though! Anyone fishing the Savage River in Western Maryland these days? Any thoughts to what is working? I'd like to get out before the snow flies! In Garrett County where the Savage is the snow sometimes comes early! I've missed sharing and talking about flyfishing so it's nice to be back on the forum!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 11-04-2007, 05:56 PM

switchfisher will become famous soon enoughswitchfisher will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fishing the Savage

I was up fishing the lower part of Barnum last weekend and heard the Savage was fishing pretty good. The MD folks just stocked it the week prior.

With the six inches of rain we got and the controlled release from the dam, the upper part should be pretty good right now.

I fished the lower part - downstream from the first bridge about a mile - and was pretty disappointed in late September. Shallow, nothing moving. Should be better now.

The fly shop up there just short of the fly fishing section should be able to give you up to date info
Old 11-05-2007, 08:38 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

It's an Orvis fly shop and they are nice people. They also have a website, Savage River Outfitters. They will let you know what's working too. There is two nice holes, one just below the flyshop and one right above them.
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 11-06-2007, 11:04 AM

oogie is on a distinguished road

Fished the Savage in late Sept. and mid October. Very very slow. IN fact, the slowest I have ever experienced it in early Fall. I think it was the warm weather and unusually warm water for that time of year (water temp. was in the low to mid 60s-- it should be in th elow 50s that time of year). Would be interested to hear if you go and how it fishes, as I might try one more time there this fall. I second the idea of contacting the Savage River Outfitters. Great guys who will give you honest opinions on what is happening with the river.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:13 PM

I'll post on here if I go and what happens. I assume you fished the lower Savage not the upper, right?
Old 11-12-2007, 12:23 PM

oogie is on a distinguished road

Yep. I was fishing the tailwaters (both the Savage and the NB). The upper Savage might be pretty good now after the Fall stocking (if the stocking was recent).