The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 10:34 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of
Default En Fuego on Penn's Creek - pic heavy

I'm just getting around to posting some pics and a trip report on Penn's Creek in PA, on opening weekend from a few weeks back.
Driving into the town of Coburn a friend and I were in shock to see the amount of anglers in the river in the Class B section of the river. We had no idea what we were in for, and seeing the number of cars and people, some of which were sitting in lawn chairs (in the river) fishing, didn't seem all that promising of the making of an epic fishing trip. It was border line insanity and almost comical at the same time.
We stopped in at the Feathered Hook to get some last minute supplies and info on how the river was fishing. The people thinned out below the town of Coburn in the all-tackle trophy water, and we fished for a couple hours with nothing to show for it except a lot of walking between pools and hoards of people. I have heard, and read, that the river can be rewarding but also humbling, and at this point I was fully prepared to be skunked and we were only 3 hours into our 1.5 day fishing trip. So we packed up and moved down river to set up camp at Poe Paddy State Park.
Once we set up camp, we walked down to the river and saw some fish sporadically rising in the first stretch we came to. An older gentleman was sitting in a lawn chair at a trout camp watching us fish and we didn't have any luck. So its gonna be like this, I thought to myself. I wound up the line and went to chit-chat. In conversation with the gentleman, he mentioned that he hadn't seen anyone catch anything in that stretch of the river all day. Well, I knew the river was unforgiving, but we still had plenty of light left so we decided to pack up and walk farther down stream to the next stretch of promising water. It wasn't long before we found some water where we saw fish rising consistently. At this point in the day, about 4pm, bugs were coming off, seemingly getting heavier and heavier with each passing moment. With the first cast and perfect drift at the end of a great run...BAM, FISH ON! This is the point in the report where I will let the pics speak for themselves. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:21 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: En Fuego on Penn's Creek - pic heavy

Beautiful. Is that all on Penn Creek? It sure changes characteristics a lot. And that drab looking Brookie about in the middle of the string, is that a Tiger hybrid?
Old 05-05-2012, 11:44 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Looks like a great day! I will likely be spending more time in the coming year in the Cleveland area since my fiancee is taking a year residency there, so we'll have to get together to wet a line, or at least to grab a beer and shoot the $*1* about fishing. Really nice blues in the the cheeks of those browns, and very jealous of the brookies, as I'm still yet to catch one!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 05-06-2012, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great reportNice stream and...nice fish
Old 05-07-2012, 10:12 AM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

@ dean_mt
Yup, that is all Penn's Creek. 3.5 Miles of All-Tackle Trophy Trout Water, and another 7 Miles of Class A C&R Water. It is really something else. I am not sure about that one being a Tiger Hybrid but I see why you are thinking that way...The markings on the back. The majority of the river is Browns but sometimes you run into Brookies that have made their way into the river from the numerous tribs so I wouldn't be surprised if it was.
@ A.J.
Let me know when you get here and we can meet up. We can head over to PA for some small mtn streams and some brookies. Your fiance gonna be at the Clinic or UH? Cleveland is not a bad place to do a residency!
@ jpbfly
Thanks!
Old 05-07-2012, 02:56 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Great trip report and photos, congrats on landing some beautiful trout!