The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 12:55 PM

moval04 is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing New River in VA

Hi Everyone,
My son and I are canoeing down New River as part of Boy Scout Summer Camp, from Camp Powahatan. To Hinton. What can we expect during June 10 - 14th as far as best flies to use, species of fish we should expect, best places to stop off at, etc?
We are very new to flyfishing and are excited at the prospect of freshwater flyfishing. Thanks.

Mo
Old 05-21-2012, 01:19 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fishing New River in VA

To Hinton, WV? That's a good haul to say the least.

I'd use terrestrials (grasshoppers, crickets) and streamers. Something with some flash to it. You'll be in some good smallmouth water.

Good luck and welcome to the board.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:26 PM

moval04 is on a distinguished road

Thanks. I believe it is 50 miles in 4 or 5 days, i think it should be good.

Mo
Old 06-05-2012, 09:42 AM

swhite1989 is on a distinguished road

I have fished it a couple times this season, and I have been getting good feedback on flashy green streamers. But to be honest, anything that shines is going to be eaten by something in that area. Expect all types of panfish, small mouth, large mouth, I have caught muskie, there are cats too. Its a very diverse river.