The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cattech89

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 10:52 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all
Default Paint Creek Report

I am so happy to have the opportunity to share this report with everyone here. I was so desperate to go fishing last weekend that I emailed my boss on Friday and told him I would not be in on the following Monday (5/21), that I would be burning a vacation day.
I was up by 4:30am and on the road by 5:00. Grabbed a few drinks and some go-go juice for the truck and was on the river by 6:00.
Paint Creek is a great trout stream that has won several awards but is not the "ideal" trout stream. For a large part of the stream it crisscrosses back and forth underneath I-77. However, it has a nicely maintained C&R section, which was my destination.
I was a little out of practice. I didn't know what to really start with. I tied on a green weenie and quickly hooked up with a 3" long creek chub. After 15min of no other action I tried a GRHE with no success. Finally I said, "Okay, go big or go home." I tied on a #12 Olive Green Wooly Bugger and added a few split shot. I flipped it across the head of a pool and made a few quick strips across and WHAM!!! The rod came alive! Here is what I pulled out...
Click the image to open in full size.
After snapping a couple pics and releasing my friend I stood up and, never moving from my spot, flipped that same wooly bugger upstream letting it swing downstream and just before I flipped it back up for another drift, WHAM! A nice little stocker brookie...
I sent him on his way and moved downstream a little. After about 10-15 minutes of swinging that same wooly bugger I was starting to think, "maybe I should try something else" when....WHAM WHAM WHAM!!! The rod tip just went crazy. This was the best part of my day. This bad lad really put up a fight to the point that I thought I had a 24 incher on the line.
I wanted another pic but before I could get the hook out of his mouth, flip-flop, threw the hook, and he was gone.
I got back in the truck and moved downstream a little and fished a run that was flowing underneath one of the interstate bridges. I got several rises but only managed one taker. Another stocker brookie.

This was a great day. Besides the fishing, the day was gorgeous, and I never saw a single soul. I was all alone all day and was able to lose some stress and recoop.
Hope you all enjoy...
Hardyreels likes this.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 05-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Paint Creek Report

I wish I were with you there Seth, you definitely had a good day of it.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-28-2012, 10:59 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Thanks Ard! It certainly was memorable.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:35 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Nice slam there Seth! No chub pic? milt.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Granted, a chub would have made it a bases loaded hit..................... Milt, you have no bounds,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-30-2012, 06:27 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Seth: Sounds like a great day on the water, definitely worth burning a vacation day for sure.

Larry
Old 05-30-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
Nice slam there Seth! No chub pic? milt.
Ha! That would've been good! I was perturbed though cause those little buggers wouldn't leave my fly alone. Most of them were too small to get hooked though....

Thanks Larry! I didn't regret it at all!