The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 07:50 PM

andydietz is on a distinguished road
Default Spring Creek, State College - 5/29

I was up in PA doing a little work on our house and my dad and I went to do a little fly fishing up on Ben's Creek in Cambria County to no avail. We did that a couple days then packed it up and booked it to Spring Creek in State College. That was a good choice. We stopped by TCO Fly Shop and they were really helpful in getting us to the Creek. We were pressed for time, so we didn't buy anything, but we will be back! Now, to Spring Creek.

We got out there right before 4pm after it rained heavily for about 20 minutes. I put my waders on in the rental car and decided to live a little, so I went out in the rain (crazy, right). I started out throwing a size 16 BH Pheasant Tail and cought a small brown in the first section of rapids on the stream. Fished there for a coupe minutes more with no more action, so I moved on. It was pretty dead for a while. I should have switched up flies a little more, but maybe next time I will think to do that. Eventually I got to a spot where a big ass tree was down and blocking the creek from wading, so I waled around it and started to throw a size 12 BH Hare's Ear and caught 2 more small browns. The spot I was out was just along an island that had a bat house on the far point.

I am about as new to the area as you can get, so I really didn't know what to throw. I used the BH's just because I've had good luck with them in the past, but I wish I threw something the fish may have actually been more crazy for.

That's about it from me.

Thanks for reading,
Andy
Old 06-03-2012, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Spring Creek, State College - 5/29

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the forum, Spring is part of my old territory. I have caught more fish on a size 18 or 20 Blue Quill than on any other fly during spring and sumer seasons there. I used to get on it approximately 40 days a year on average during May - July's end. I also fished all through winter every year for a couple decades there. Those were some good years, I'm glad your finding your way to this jewel.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-03-2012, 05:16 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Spring Creek is a great fishery. If you're in that area, try to get on the Little Juniata (Little J); it's also great fishing and a a lot of fun.

Pocono
Old 06-03-2012, 06:14 PM

andydietz is on a distinguished road

I'm actually in the Johnstown Area. Haven't done any fishing outside of the Quemahoning Creek by 219, Ben's Creek by the BP and also Ben's by the covered bridge.

Thanks for the replies guys!