The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Mid-Atlantic Area (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/mid-atlantic-area/)
-   -   Old Timer New Fly Rodder (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/mid-atlantic-area/289811-old-timer-new-fly-rodder.html)

bhdpal 06-26-2012 08:04 PM

Old Timer New Fly Rodder

Greetings;

I am new to Fly Fishing and this Forum. I am 70years old and have fished most of my life with convential fishing tackle. I recently got hooked on fly fishing while on a black bear hunt in Canada.

I have been researching and reading lots of info on flyfishing, casting, flies, rigging the fly line, etc.

I need a lot of practice and really should get some professional instruction and advice on tackle and gear. I've had both my knees totally replaced and have to be careful on where I wade and fish. I have a canoe and like fishing from the canoe but I also like wading.

One of the many questions I have is about the leader and tippet relationship. I rigged the end of my weight forward floating fly line with a commercial 9foot 6X tapered leader. What I am confused about is do I tie on a smaller diameter tippet to the end of my tapered leader?

I would also like to meet some fishing buddies who wouldn't mind having an old cogger tag along. I can fend for myself but it's nice to have some company.

Joe P

williamhj 06-26-2012 08:09 PM

Re: Old Timer New Fly Rodder

Tippet is the thin end of the tapered leader so you don't need to add it. Once you have tied and cut off some flies and the end is getting thicker then you add more tippet. Welcome!

fire instructor 06-26-2012 08:15 PM

Welcome to the addiction, Joe! I'm also a relative newbie, only starting about 6 monhs ago. I did two things that have helped me a lot.

1) Joined a local fly-fishing club - They sponsored a fly tying class where I learned a lot and met some gret folks who have been very helpful.

2) Toook the FREE Orvis 101 and 201 classes. Each about 3 hours, but well worth the 70 mile travel to get there. These classes were a great help with my casting.

You should add your general location to your profile, and maybe you'll find a new fishing buddy near-by right on this forum.

Enjoy!

gatortransplant 06-26-2012 09:42 PM

Joe, welcome to the addiction, like others have said! William is right about the tippet, you don't really need to add more to a new tapered leader. The main reasons you'll add tippet is like William said and you have chopped off enough that the line starts getting too thick OR you feel that the tippet you're using is too large and is spooking fish. With 6x, this shouldn't be the case all too often.

As far as fishing buddies go, where abouts do you live?

mikel 06-26-2012 09:56 PM

Hey Joe...I'm 63 and the first thing I'd do is lose that 6x, unless you're fishing pretty picky fish or little guys. Well, let me rephrase that....I'd check with other fishermen or a local shop and see if I could get by with 4 or 5x. It's sure easier to see/tie/manage than that 6 or 7 x stuff...

Joining a club is great advice. Automatic fishing buddies. Probably have an outing or more each month...

Your casting will be fine...worry about learning to mend. If you can't mend and get a good drift you're toast.

Get a wading staff and a PFD and use them both...and buy whatever waders you want but get good boots.

Glad you're here. -Mike

Hardyreels 06-26-2012 10:12 PM

Hello Joe,

As you can see the forum crew will be happy to help with questions here. I'm so glad to dee that you chose this forum to be part of your learning experience. These people are a sincere and wonderful bunch so ask away and they will help.

Ard

bhdpal 06-27-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyreels (Post 467586)
Hello Joe,

As you can see the forum crew will be happy to help with questions here. I'm so glad to dee that you chose this forum to be part of your learning experience. These people are a sincere and wonderful bunch so ask away and they will help.

Ard

Many Thanks for the great response info on my Thread. I live in Perry Hall Maryland, NE section of Baltimore County. I am 4 miles south of the Big Gunpowder River and 6 miles south of the Little Gunpowder River.

I like the suggestion about joining a local club. This will help me in the learning process (have a lot to learn) and help me connect with fellow fly fishermen who may invite me to go fishing with them.

I have hunted and fished most of my life and mainly as a loner just to get away from the masses & daily grind. But now that I am older, I like the idea of mingling with folks who share common interest. But there arn't many oldster hunters & anglers around. Many of the Oldsters guit hunting & fishing due to physical limitations or health problems.

There are a lot of sportsman around but most are several generations my junior. I just can't seem to relate to their modern view of life in general and the new way of talking, dude, bro, hook-up etc. What ever happened to "sir" and "mam," or just calling someone by their name.

My solitude in my younger years has evolved me into a "grumpy Ol' man." I am not really grumpy, I just tell it like it is, not afraid to speak my mind and political correctness be "damned."

Probably said too much, should change my forum name to OLD BIGMOUTH!

Joe P

jpbfly 06-27-2012 11:16 AM

:welcomean Joe....never too late to start flyfishing;)wish you'll find another "grumpy":) guy to fish with you;)