The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mikel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 07:45 PM

bhdpal is on a distinguished road
Default Old Timer New Fly Fisherman, Equipmemt ID

I'm back again with some equipment questions. A while back I purchased a Fly Rod, Reel, Fly line & an assortment of flies from a chain sporting goods store. I didn't know anything about fly fishing & thought I'd give it a try. But I never did. I was a hard core offshore/inshore saltwater fisherman with my own boat & charter fishing service. After 10 years of Charter Fishing, I had enought & was completely turned off to boat fishing. I sold my boat & began surf, bridge & pier fishing.

But since my Canada Trip where I went fly fishing with my bear guide, I've been bitten hard by the "FLY" & want to try out this gear that's been in storage for 8-9 years. I still had the owners manual for the reels but none for the rod. However I did find a "casting & common casting prolems" showing a fly rod diagram marked
TC-19 but there was no brand name.

I throughly examined the rod for brand name, size or other markings & didn't find anything. The Rod is 2piece 8 foot graphite rod. I google searched TC-19 Fly Rod and came up with South Bend TC-19. Wen I clicked on to this site it showed a South Bend TC-19 reel but no mention or reference to a TC-19 rod.

Maybe someone can help me ID this rod, so I know what size it is and what size fly line to use. An educated guess would even be helpful.

The reels I have are Scientific Angler System 1 Model 456 & Mdel 678. I have the owners manual for the reels with the instructions & line capacity specs.

Both the rod and reels are in like new condition as they were stored in air tight containers in a dry even temerature location.

I don't want to go out and spend a bundle on a fancy new rig if I find that my fly fishing enthusiasm was only a passing fling. I would like to try using this gear but I need to know what size and type of fly line, leader & tippet I should use.

I was going to take it to a Fly Fishing Only Shop but I feel uncomfortable about bring in gear purchased somewhere else & asking the shop keeper to help me rig it up.

At this point I really don't know what to do, any suggestions from the folks on this forum would be greatly appreciated.

My last thread I didn't put in my location. I live in Perry Hall, Maryland, NE Baltimore County not far from the Big & Little Gunpowder River. I looked for a local fiy fishing club and came up with a couple but none in my area. There are a couple fly fishing speciality shops within a 30 minute drive that I will probably visit in the near future.

Joe P

The
Old 06-29-2012, 10:05 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old Timer New Fly Fisherman, Equipmemt ID

Since the rod came from a chain store and came with the SA System I reel, most likely it's a Scientific Angler rod as well.
Probably sold as one of their "Concept" combos.
Based on the fact that's of a certain age and it's an 8 ft rod, I would have to guess that it was made to handle a 5wt line.
In a combo like that, a 7.5' rod would most likely be a 4wt and a 9' rod could be a 5,6, or 8 weight, but an 8' rod is almost certainly a 5wt.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 06-29-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:59 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I think the rod is a 5 for the same reasons...and I'd think the thing to concentrate on is lining it and seeing how you like it.

Joe, don't be silly. Take all your stuff into the friendliest fly shop in town and tell them exactly what you're telling us. rather than insulting them with stuff bought elsewhere, you are giving them an opportunity to sell you new lines, tools, flies, hats, nippers, waders, boots and on and on. They will be THRILLED to meet you.

Once there, cast various lines on your rod and see what falls out of that. You may want to invest up to 80 bucks on a new line. I wouldn't scrimp on line to get what works with your stick and matches up with how you want to fish.

Personally, I've gone away form all the flipping specialty lines (indicator, salmon-steelhead, streamer, etc) and just make sure I have solid all purpose floaters. I hate being on the water and having to change a spool or reel to go from nymphs to dries....and I don't find that a "nymph taper" is all that much better to fish with a bobber than a regular wf or dt floater.

Go to a fly shop if you have one available...

-Mike
rockriver likes this.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:01 PM

d3adp0ol is on a distinguished road

There's a great fly angler about 30 minutes north of you near the Upper Gunpowder Falls: BACKWATER ANGLER

I've stopped in there once or twice before and they've always been friendly and helpful, and not once made me feel embarrassed to be a beginner. There's also some good spots to fish up there with easy water access and gentle wading.

Also, I read your other post about the bad knees, I've got a bit of that problem myself so I make sure to wade carefully. I recommend using a hiking stick to help you keep your balance and also feel around for deep holes or slick rocks that could trip you up. There's a few collapsable wading sticks specifically made for the job, but I actually suggest getting a pair of regular hiking poles. For the same cost as a collapsable wading stick you get two extendable poles that provide greater weight support, can be used in the water and out, and are usually made from lighter, more durable materials. When you've found your casting spot, they can be stuck upright in the river close at hand or you can collapse it and hang it from the back of your vest near your net.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3adp0ol View Post
There's a great fly angler about 30 minutes north of you near the Upper Gunpowder Falls: BACKWATER ANGLER

I've stopped in there once or twice before and they've always been friendly and helpful, and not once made me feel embarrassed to be a beginner. There's also some good spots to fish up there with easy water access and gentle wading.

Also, I read your other post about the bad knees, I've got a bit of that problem myself so I make sure to wade carefully. I recommend using a hiking stick to help you keep your balance and also feel around for deep holes or slick rocks that could trip you up. There's a few collapsable wading sticks specifically made for the job, but I actually suggest getting a pair of regular hiking poles. For the same cost as a collapsable wading stick you get two extendable poles that provide greater weight support, can be used in the water and out, and are usually made from lighter, more durable materials. When you've found your casting spot, they can be stuck upright in the river close at hand or you can collapse it and hang it from the back of your vest near your net.
Just another example of why this is a terrific forum and the wonderful people that make up this membership. Right on with this reply as well as the others as well.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-23-2012, 06:09 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Go figure. Ard replied to a post marked...old timers...