The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Mid-Atlantic Area

Mid-Atlantic Area Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, and Virginia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2008, 08:11 AM

switchfisher will become famous soon enoughswitchfisher will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fly Fishing Maryland

I can't believe I forgot to mention the Gun.

While the really scenic section up near Prettyboy gets hammered every weekend, the Gun stretches downstream through other C&R sections for miles and miles.

I get stuff at Bass Pro in Arundel as well. Wait for their "spring fling" at the end of February when everything goes on sale.

One other point - Larry Coburn who wrote that book runs the fly shop there. So, you can have a chat with him if he is on duty when you are there.

XJGUY - I was up at Daniels a few weeks after they stocked it this fall, no action. Do you work down from the Dam or up from the I70 crossover?
Old 01-07-2008, 03:04 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Are you talking about the Gunpowder river? I heard a canoe club from Baltimore cut all the fallen trees(habitat)to clear a canoe trail in the river is this true??
Old 01-08-2008, 05:57 PM

xjguy07 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchfisher View Post
I can't believe I forgot to mention the Gun.

While the really scenic section up near Prettyboy gets hammered every weekend, the Gun stretches downstream through other C&R sections for miles and miles.

I get stuff at Bass Pro in Arundel as well. Wait for their "spring fling" at the end of February when everything goes on sale.

One other point - Larry Coburn who wrote that book runs the fly shop there. So, you can have a chat with him if he is on duty when you are there.

XJGUY - I was up at Daniels a few weeks after they stocked it this fall, no action. Do you work down from the Dam or up from the I70 crossover?

yeah same here when i go i usually start at I70 and work my way up to the damn. me and a buddy went and the biggest fish we cought was about four inches long and a perch or somthing i think. the water was extremly low, when i was wadeing in the rver spots that were up to my chest were bearly knee height i think that had alot to do with it.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:43 PM

switchfisher will become famous soon enoughswitchfisher will become famous soon enough

My results exactly. I went back there on the 29th when it was warm to look at the Black Bass C&R area below I70. Looks good, but nothing was moving - not even my buddies the bluegills!

Next season....
Old 01-17-2008, 06:50 PM

xjguy07 is on a distinguished road

haha next year is what i've been saying the last two years i fished their, granted each time i have fished their it hasnt been the perfect day for them either.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:50 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

I'm from Western Maryland and I flyfish the Savage River a lot! It's the tailwater from the Savage River Dam and it's full of naturally reproducing browns and brookies. It has some nice rainbows from when they do water release from the dam but as far as I know, the DNR does not stock this portion of the river. They have an Orivs Flyshop located right on the river too! Nice people and very helpful. They also have a website you can check out. SavageRiverOutfitters.com. They will tell you stream levels and what is hatching and what to use. It is a beautiful river to fish but very rugged and slippery!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 01-26-2008, 05:40 PM

DaveMD is on a distinguished road

I highly recommend that book to anyone looking to fly fish in Maryland. It is a great starting point and once you become familar with an area it is easy to stumble upon those little known streams that no one fishes. That is where the real fun is.

Dave

Old 03-08-2008, 06:06 PM

momeneveau is on a distinguished road

Hey guy's,
I'm from Baltimore, and work part-time at the local Gunpowder Falls fly-shop, Backwater Angler. It's good to know that some fellow Gunpowder fisherman are talking on this forum!
To answer the question about the log-jams being cut out. Yes, unfortunately the stretch from Falls Rd. access to Bluemount Rd. has be de-logged. Theaux LeGardeur, the owner of the shop even got pictures of the people cutting out the logs with chain-saws. Theaux managed to call the park service, but since they are buddies with the canoe club, the club managed to get off with only a "warning."
Another aspect of interest in the past couple of months has been Bluemount Quarry. They have been seen violating their permit to crush rebar, and have installed a drain into the Gunpowder. If anyone has any further info on this matter, contact Theaux at Backwater Angler!
I encourage everyone to check out the shop, or visit our website at:
BACKWATER ANGLER

Tight Lines!
Max Meneveau
Old 03-10-2008, 06:39 PM

How's the Gun fishing? I was up there a few weeks ago when it was still pretty cold. Has the water warmed above 40 yet?
Old 03-10-2008, 08:05 PM

momeneveau is on a distinguished road

It's been slow the past couple of weeks, but it just picked up a bunch with the recent warm weather. On saturday I experienced a midge hatch so thick that I couldn't breathe without inhaling some bugs! I caught about 9 fish in 4 hrs. Size 22 black or creme midge patterns were working.
Tight Lines!
Max Meneveau